Help a kitten momma make the right decision!
Should we have our one-eyed kitten's non-eye sewn shut?
My husband and I got two 7 month old kittens a few weeks ago. We fell in love with them in an instant, even though we had gone in to pick out two younger ones. They have had no trouble adjusting to our home and we've loved having their energy around during the holiday season!
is our little lady, but Perrin
is the boy kitty in question.
He has one working eye and the other is merely an unformed pocket in place where his eye should be. He was a feral kitten and brought in at birth. His eye never formed. Now, the SPCA where we adopted said that his lack of eye should not cause him trouble, but if our vet decides it necessary, the shelter would do a (free!) surgery to clear out the tissue and sew the socket shut.
He doesn't seem to let it bother him and when we brought the kitties in for a first check up, our vet echoed what the SPCA said -- she doesn't think it's necessary to have it removed. On that day, it was less pink inside and more yellow, which caused me concern. Vet said to keep an eye on it (Har har) and give it a wipe with clean cotton and water if it seems cruddy.
Fast forward a week and Perrin has a bit of a cold. We take him into the vet again to get checked out and we see another associate vet in the practice. He is less concerned about Perrin's sneezing and more concerned about his eye. He says he would have the surgery done soon and gives us free eye ointment to try to help him out (along with the cold meds for our little one!). Perrin refuses to have anything put in his eye (scratching, growling, backing out of my husband's arms, farting (ew), snarling), but we managed it for a few days in a row. Now, his eye pocket is red and weeping and crusty. I told the vet and they said to discontinue the ointment.
Basically, I don't want to have unnecessary surgery done for my little one, but I don't want him to be forced to be poked and prodded weekly with wet cotton or ointments or what have you. I also don't want to be a worried mommy, checking his eye for daily color changes or discharge changes or scent changes.
My husband is less concerned and says to give it time (a few weeks) to see what happens.
So, advice for a new mommy to my furbabies? Do I heed Vet #1 and the SPCA's advice and wait it out, or do I hop on it now while he's young in order to avoid any further irritation?
Gracias in advance!