Join 3,572 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)


How do I remove Gorilla Glue from my counter-top?
December 26, 2011 5:11 AM   Subscribe

How do I remove Gorilla Glue from my kitchen counter-top?

It spilled on my counter and I noticed it a couple days later. What's the best method to remove it, without damaging the counter-top?
posted by helios410 to Home & Garden (8 answers total)
 
Is the glue blobby or spread thin? If it's blobby and completely dry, a fresh razor blade may do the trick (I've used that very method on Gorilla Glue on an oak dresser). What's the countertop material? A picture of the situation might help!
posted by thinkpiece at 5:35 AM on December 26, 2011 [1 favorite]


What material is the countertop? I've successfully used a flat razor blade held almost parallel to the counter to remove a glob of super glue from stone.

Really consider calling the company and asking. You cannot be the first person who's been faced with this Rut-ro.
posted by mightshould at 5:36 AM on December 26, 2011


Acetone, found in nail polish remover, might do the trick.
posted by procrastination at 9:59 AM on December 26, 2011 [1 favorite]


Most types of glue branded "Gorilla Glue" are urethane glues. They cure by cross-linking rather than dry. That is, the process is not reversible with a solvent. The most that a solvent will do is swell some of the polymer chains and weaken the material a bit.

Mechanical force (sometimes aided by solvents like MEK) like scraping, sanding, chisels, etc. is generally the only tool that works on urethane finishes or glues.
posted by introp at 11:44 AM on December 26, 2011


From an official response on the Gorilla Glue forums:
If Gorilla Glue, our original brown glue, is still wet - any paint thinner or mineral spirits will remove it. Once cured, however, it is 100% waterproof so paint thinner and acetone will no longer work. A mechanical removal is the only way to get dried Gorilla Glue off such as sanding, scraping, scratching or slicing through the glue.
posted by dhartung at 12:14 PM on December 26, 2011


I can't take pics at this time, but I'm pretty sure the counter-top is formica, or some other composite material. I'll try a razor and report back with the results.
posted by helios410 at 1:05 PM on December 26, 2011


Be careful with solvents on plastic. But also make sure you have good ventilation. You don't want an errant spark causing an explosion, nor do you want to get sick from fumes. I would try a sharp blade or thin chisel before solvents.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 2:42 PM on December 26, 2011


A quibble...

Once cured, however, it is 100% waterproof so paint thinner and acetone will no longer work.

That is not what waterproof means.
posted by IAmBroom at 8:52 PM on December 26, 2011


« Older ┬┐How to automate testing for a...   |  Asking-for-a-friend filter: On... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.