Help me get this Skullcandy mic to work!

Will the Skullcandy Lowrider mic work on my laptop?

I just received a pair of headphones for Christmas, Skullcandy Lowriders, with a mic attached. I was just wondering if the mic would work on my laptop or not because I can't find anything from Skullcandy or Google that will help me, nor can I find the mic in the audio devices section.

What I want is to both use the headphones to listen AND to talk through the mic, which basically is like pretending my laptop is an iPhone.

TIA
posted by Angel of Khaos to Technology (10 answers total)

Your laptop headphone output doesn't have a mic-in like a phone's would; so, no.
posted by beaucoupkevin at 6:49 PM on December 25, 2011 [1 favorite]

What kind of laptop?
posted by ChurchHatesTucker at 6:58 PM on December 25, 2011

@beaucoupkevin
Very good point. I actually overlooked that small detail. Thanks. Looks like I can't use the mic :<
posted by Angel of Khaos at 7:04 PM on December 25, 2011

Newer Mac laptops, for example, do indeed have headphone outputs with mic inputs built in like phones do - so .. try it and see, i suppose? It depend on your laptop.
posted by thedaniel at 7:08 PM on December 25, 2011

Only if you have a combo jack like the one on the smaller MacBooks. If you have separate headphone/mic plugs, probably not.
posted by neckro23 at 7:09 PM on December 25, 2011

(By "plugs" I, of course, mean "jacks".)
posted by neckro23 at 7:10 PM on December 25, 2011

The unibody (seamless) Macbooks could use the earbud mics via the headphone jack (at least as of a couple years ago, which is the last time I tried it.)
posted by ChurchHatesTucker at 7:11 PM on December 25, 2011

Huh! I didn't know that and I own an Air. Neat. I hope I'm wrong, then.
posted by beaucoupkevin at 7:15 PM on December 25, 2011

You can get a splitter type adapter to connect them. I have the same headphones and have been using them to Skype for the last year on my Samsung netbook.
posted by piedmont at 7:31 PM on December 25, 2011

This is what worked for me.
posted by piedmont at 8:26 PM on December 25, 2011

« Older Small but good   |   Fluid Robot Newer »