A Clean Well-Lighted Place for Musicians?

Does something like Dr. Sketchy or a hackerspace exist for musicians?

When hackers want to be social and collaborate, they go to a hackerspace. Artists have Dr. Sketchy. Both of these groups have a broad organization with local chapters throughout the USA and the wide world beyond.

I realize that there are open mics, but I think I'm looking for workshops, networking, socializing; something with a semi-regular schedule, something that's performers-as-audience and vice versa.

And, most importantly for me, does this exist in the SF Bay Area?
posted by lekvar to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

This is something that may be dependent on the type of music you want to play. I know it exists for bluegrass/oldtime and other types of folk music. An biggish group, usually around 10 - 15 people in my experience, will get together at a bar or restaurant on a slow night and play together and teach each other songs.

For instance, there's a group that plays Irish folk music every Tuesday at the Irish pub near me. When I lived in Virginia, there was a bluegrass jam at one bar every two weeks, and a weekly bluegrass show in a nearby town, where lots of people would play together before and after.

Granted, this won't be much use to you if you're a metal drummer or something, but perhaps it would be up your alley.
posted by duien at 4:55 PM on December 21, 2011

Good suggestion.

I suppose I'm romanticizing it a bit, but the hackerspaces I've been to (and I'd imagine this applies to Dr. Sketchy as well) don't really discriminate based on platform or language. Yeah, you might get more nerd cred for using linux over Windows, but that's it. Ideally there would be a space where genre takes back seat to musicianship.
posted by lekvar at 5:03 PM on December 21, 2011

Well, MeFiMu is a decent place to start. Totally non-geo-specific, but very supportive. There are monthly 'challenges' that allow you to stretch your muscles a bit, too, and you can post there enough that you'll get feedback to keep you busy for quite a while.
posted by Pecinpah at 5:12 PM on December 21, 2011

The Off Wall Street Jam.

I've never been, but I hear it's a lot of Mustang Sally stuff (because that's what everyone knows).
posted by MesoFilter at 8:01 PM on December 21, 2011

You are looking for an Immersion Composition Society group.
posted by Brent Parker at 10:49 PM on December 21, 2011

« Older Are there any mythological cre...   |  My cups of tea teach me things... Newer »