I can't remember the name of this kids' book about evolution.
December 20, 2011 7:06 PM Subscribe
Help me find this children's book about evolution that I used to read as a kid.
posted by thehandsomecamel to media & arts (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I can't remember the name, and I have only a vague recollection of what it looked like. Here are some hints:
1) Primarily what I remember are the illustrations, which looked a bit like mosaics -- a dinosaur's skin looked like it was made up of small pebbles -- even though I'm pretty sure they were actually paintings.
2) I'm pretty sure it covered most of the history of life, starting with single-celled organisms and going up to humans. At one point, when the dinosaurs go extinct, mammals are shown as coming out of the shadows and entering into their prime, and the early mammals look something like lemurs. It also definitely covered the Ice Age, and there were some bleak paintings of Ice Age humans trying to survive.
3) Possibly the word "When" was in the title? E.g., "When The Earth Was Young," although I googled that and only got Young Earth Creationism.
4) I was reading this book, I think, some time between 1978 and 1985.
5) The book was definitely formatted in "landscape" orientation, rather than portrait.
6) I'm pretty sure there were dinosaurs on the cover -- maybe coming out of eggs? (Although that might have been on the inside. But there was definitely a dinosaur hatching somewhere in the book!)
That's all the information I have, but I remember loving this book and would love to get it for my kid!