Beyond the piPod

Is there great pizza in midtown Manhattan? Where?
posted by caitlinb to Food & Drink (20 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Patsy's Pizza (Murray Hill)
509 Third Ave, (between 34th and 35th streets), New York City, NY 10016-4701
Or hit SliceNY's Midtown East guide.
posted by riffola at 6:06 AM on June 25, 2005

Patsy's is pretty much always a safe bet.

There's also Angelo's, which was not the best slice I've had in the city, but better than average. Location info from the appropriate Slice club post:

Angelo's Pizza
Location: 117 West 57th Street (b/n 6th/7th aves.)
Phone: 212-333-4333
Getting There: Nearest train is the F/V at the 57th Street station.
The Skinny: An oft-overlooked coal-oven place in the heart of Midtown.
posted by Remy at 6:25 AM on June 25, 2005

If you like Two Boots, there's one in the lower level of Grand Central.
posted by xo at 6:35 AM on June 25, 2005

It depends what you mean by "great." If you mean great, no, there's no such thing in Midtown: you've got to go to the Village (John's), way uptown (Patsy's, the real one, in East Harlem), or Coney Island (Totonno's). But the ones mentioned in the thread are perfectly acceptable.

You might want to check out Slice if you're seriously interested in NYC pizza, and of course Chowhound. And here's a knowledgeable discussion by Ed Levine.
posted by languagehat at 8:15 AM on June 25, 2005

Naples in the MetLife bldg (45th and park) has really good rustic style
posted by vega5960 at 9:30 AM on June 25, 2005

I second Patsy's and Angelo's. There's also an Angelo's on the east side at 55th and Second, which I order from frequently.
posted by brain_drain at 12:55 PM on June 25, 2005

Belmora-- 139 E 57, at Lex. Very good pizza.
posted by astruc at 1:08 PM on June 25, 2005

How much does this pizza cost? I've never really had pizza beyond the basics. Just how much better is it then, say, pizza hut?
posted by delmoi at 1:12 PM on June 25, 2005

That's one nice thing about pizza -- you can't really overcharge for it. Even at John's, the most prestigious pizza joint in NYC, you're not going to spend over $20 for a large. Some people's problem with the great ones, like John's and the others I mentioned, is that they don't sell by the slice. Big deal: go with somebody else and order the medium. Oh, and it's a lot better. Just the use of real mozzarella instead of the fake cheese all chain places use makes a huge difference.
posted by languagehat at 2:53 PM on June 25, 2005

Pizza is $2 for the slice, which is pretty standard in the parts of Manhattan I frequent. (~East Side, Houston to 20th - best pizza place around here is Stromboli on St. Mark's and 1st Ave) About two years ago everywhere around here had $1.75 for the slice.

In the boroughs or other parts of Manhattan (for example I was on 8th Ave in the 30s today and all the pizza was less than $2) it can be different.

It's cheaper when you buy a pie (8 slices) for $12, although $12 is not as much of a standard as $2.
posted by TheOnlyCoolTim at 3:21 PM on June 25, 2005

There is?!

I almost wish I hadn't learned that. My diet was going so well, and I work so close...
posted by bingo at 4:12 PM on June 25, 2005

delmoi, it's very thin crust, from a brick oven--worlds different from pizza hut.

There's a John's in Times Sq. now--i took Sgt. there. : >
posted by amberglow at 5:14 PM on June 25, 2005

Just how much better is it then, say, pizza hut?

Oh man, be ready from an earful when you ask any New Yorker this question. Hatfield-and-McCoy-like rivalries have erupted over this very argument. Yes, delicious, crispy, chewy rivalries.
posted by mkultra at 5:53 PM on June 25, 2005

I've never really had pizza beyond the basics. Just how much better is it then, say, pizza hut?

You poor culturally deprived human. Pizza Hut dosen't deserve to be called pizza. Neither does Dominos or Papa Johns. Lombardi's on Spring Street in NYC is the oldest pizzeria in America, and IMHO still one of the best. But there's plenty of other good ones like John's on Bleecker Street. But be warned, once you've had the real thing, you can't go back to franchise crap.
posted by jonmc at 6:28 PM on June 25, 2005

John's in Midtown is pretty good. In a pinch, Famiglia, but never ever ever go to Famous Ray's.
posted by Slagman at 8:37 PM on June 25, 2005

Thin crispy crust? You call that 'pizza'? I bet you think calzone should have tomato in it, too. Mind, I never loved pizza until I ate it in Naples. I favor a soft, even doughy crust. It shouldn't be too thin. In NYC, my favorite is Sicilian pizza, a risen crust, baked in a pan. I wish I knew exactly how they prepare it!

I'm certain I don't know who has the good pizza in NYC these days, its been too many years. But back in the 80's, a wonderful calzone could be found at Lisa's Pizza, on Fulton street, about a block west of John St.
posted by Goofyy at 12:27 AM on June 26, 2005

Thin crispy crust? You call that 'pizza'?

*sends hit team out for Goofyy*

Actually, the best pizza in America is at Pepe's in New Haven; it's not an answer to the question, but I can no longer resist putting in a plug for it. I've made two-hour trips to NH just to eat there.
posted by languagehat at 6:39 AM on June 26, 2005

Not stellar, but Don Giovanni on 44th just east of 9th avenue is OK. Its more a restaurant than a pizza joint.
posted by HK10036 at 9:31 AM on June 26, 2005

The best pizza in NYC is Di Fara in Brooklyn, caitlin, taxi and I went there last year. Also Grimaldi's near Brooklyn Bridge is good too.
posted by riffola at 5:03 PM on June 26, 2005

Well, riffola, clearly we need to go on another little trip when I'm out next. Ice cream, too, I hope!

As a follow-up: We went to Patsy's on 3rd, and it was most satisfactory.

Thanks, all!
posted by caitlinb at 9:20 AM on July 2, 2005

« Older After finding some good answer...   |  We currently develop and suppo... Newer »