How can I fix or cover up a cracked vinyl armrest on my office chair?

I bought one of these Haworth office chairs some time ago. Now the vinyl(?) on the right armrest is cracked. How can I fix it? Or if I can't easily fix it, what's a good way of covering it up?
posted by storybored to Home & Garden (6 answers total)

How handy are you with a sewing machine? I think you could make some perfectly acceptable armrest covers with some sort of stretchy fabric (spandex) and elastic bands. If you used black, or a color that matches the chair, I think it could look quite nice. You could even add some sort of padding if you felt like it.

Fixing the plastic would be a harder task. There are vinyl/plastic/leather repair kits, but to be honest I've never had much success with them.
posted by erstwhile at 8:17 PM on December 16, 2011

You may be able to get a replacement for the arm. Check with where you bought it (or a local furniture supplier, if you got it off craigslist...).

I have a Zody and broke the lower-back ring thing. Easy replacement. The armrest is probably also a fairly cheap part that takes a lot of abuse.
posted by silentbicycle at 8:57 PM on December 16, 2011

Second erstwhile's idea. I had exactly the same problem with a similar chair, and Mrs. Shoggoth made an armrest cover out of old denim. She attached it to the arm with velcro.
posted by Shoggoth at 10:05 PM on December 16, 2011

Replacement armrests are pretty standardized and inexpensive. I think I got mine here, but there are plenty of stores online. You could even upgrade to something you like more.
posted by SampleSize at 6:05 AM on December 17, 2011

You could try a vinyl repair kit.
posted by gregr at 10:02 AM on December 17, 2011

Thanks for the help folks! SampleSize that was a good suggestion, so I managed to find an exact replacement at officereplacementparts.com. The only neg is that it costs $60 which is on the high side.

I'll take a look at your idea, erstwhile....

Gregr, not sure if the vinyl repair kit can fix the crack, it's kinda wide and jagged.
posted by storybored at 2:24 PM on December 17, 2011

« Older With our daughter having been ...   |  I recently bought this Art Nou... Newer »