Bangkok flooding?

Is anyone here from Bangkok? I'm planning on visiting in January for a medical procedure. How bad is the flooding right now? Would you advise me against visiting in January? Also, I can't speak Thai, if that's relevant. Thanks.
posted by surenoproblem to Travel & Transportation around Bangkok, Thailand (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The areas you'd most likely be going to in Bangkok are already dry, as is the airport itself. By January, the flooding situation will be completely under control. Now, as for not speaking Thai, this would only be a problem if you are going to some shitty "clinic" for your procedure, but then, not speaking the language would be the least of your problems. Have you done research into the place that will be doing your procedure? Who recommended them to you?
posted by gman at 2:10 PM on December 2, 2011

Seconding gman, it will be fine.

I recommend Bangkok Nursing Hospital, if you haven't already booked your procedures. Don't forget to stock up on contact lenses and many prescription meds while you're there, and please have a good massage at least every other day. (I like HealthLand.)
posted by cyndigo at 9:05 PM on December 2, 2011

I had surgery earlier this year at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok and couldnt be happier with the results. It was like having surgery in a 5 star hotel. All the nurses and doctors spoke good english (not perfect, but very understandable), my expat insurance covered almost everything and I dont think I had to wait more than 15 minutes for any of my appointments, preop or postop.

Their website has a RealCost calculator that will give you the ballpark cost of the most common procedures and you can make your initial appointment online.

If youre thinking about going there, you can get a hotel-type room on the hospital grounds, or if you want to save a little money, you can get a hotel somewhere nearby off Sukhumvit road and just tell the taxi driver Bumrungrad (or Bamrungrad) Hospital. They all know where it is.

P.S. As noted above, the flood waters are already going down, so you shouldnt have any problems with that at all.
posted by Fiat124 at 8:35 AM on December 3, 2011

« Older Help me come up with a name fo...   |  YANMD... I had the flu about 3... Newer »