What can the series of tubes teach me?

What are some neat, awesome, interesting accredited online classes I can take?

I have 2 more years to use up what's left on my Post-9/11 GI Bill. It has to be spent at an "institute of higher learning" (college, university, community college, etc).

My interests revolve around plants, natural resources, permaculture, living off the land, fungi, and making stuff (woodworking, welding). Yeah, not really stuff that lends itself to online learning.

(I live near Santa Rosa, CA and haven't been able to find anything interesting to take locally in-person, plus I work weekdays when most classes are offered.)

Ideas?
posted by buckaroo_benzai to Education (8 answers total) 27 users marked this as a favorite

Have you considered something like a Bachelor of Science in Sustainable Management?
posted by Madamina at 12:49 PM on November 29, 2011

Stuff like this is great:

http://extension.ucdavis.edu/unit/winemaking/certificate/winemaking/

posted by buckaroo_benzai at 12:50 PM on November 29, 2011

It's not clear if you're looking for online courses hosted by accredited institutions or if you're looking to take online courses for credit with an accredited institution.

MIT's Opencourseware has dozens of free online classes and MIT is obviously an accredited institution, but you don't get educational credit for them.
posted by dfriedman at 12:51 PM on November 29, 2011

Here are couple places that might help:
* DANTES catalog
* Degree Info Forum
posted by maurreen at 12:51 PM on November 29, 2011

Sorry, yes it has to be for credit at an IHL (GI Bill pays the school directly for tuition costs).
posted by buckaroo_benzai at 12:53 PM on November 29, 2011

The University of Illinois has an online degree in Earth, Society and Environmental Sustainability, and an online undergraduate certificate in Environmental Sustainability. Sounds like your kind of thing!
posted by juniperesque at 1:41 PM on November 29, 2011

Oregon State University offers a ton of online classes, including entire degrees. You might like some of the courses offered through the Natural Resources, Horticulture, or Environmental Sciences programs (though you don't have to be degree-seeking to enroll in classes). Since it's online, tuition is the same for residents and non-residents, so it shouldn't cost a fortune either.
posted by dialetheia at 3:11 PM on November 29, 2011

The Open University in the UK and Athabasca University in Canada are both fully accredited, online, public universities.

I'm in the very early stages of a graduate program at AU and I am finding it very good so far.
posted by asnider at 3:37 PM on November 29, 2011

« Older What is a meerschaum tram?...   |  Help me save a troubled extern... Newer »