Skip

As The Skirt Turns
November 29, 2011 10:49 AM   Subscribe

I'm looking for fabric to make a skirt or dress. I want a large format landscape printed parallel to the selvage, like this, not a repeating print across the fabric like this. Can you help me find one? Know of any fabric stores with this kind of stock? Google-fu has let me down.
posted by Ambrosia Voyeur to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (13 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

I would call Britex. They have a lot more in the store than on their website and they know fricking everything about fabric. If they don't have it, they'll know where to get it.
posted by jeffamaphone at 10:56 AM on November 29, 2011

Spoonflower.com? You could upload your own design or choose an existing one.
posted by amber_dale at 10:59 AM on November 29, 2011

Would the Marimekko Kaiku print work? That link is to 56" wide yardage that's crazy expensive, but I bet they make it smaller and/or you can get it for cheaper, maybe on eBay.
posted by clavicle at 11:02 AM on November 29, 2011

Have you checked your local Ikea? They have much more fabric than they show online. It may be trendy (like the Marimekko) rather than classic (like the one you linked), but I suspect they'd have something.
posted by AmandaA at 11:08 AM on November 29, 2011

"Railroaded" is the term you're looking for (although, unfortunately, that will give you a lot of Google results for lame train-themed prints). Etsuko Furuya does some very cute railroaded fabrics, though they're hard to find.
posted by Metroid Baby at 11:08 AM on November 29, 2011

Look for vintage fabric, would be my best guess. I have some homemade vintage skirts with similar prints, but I've hardly ever seen them on modern clothes.
posted by nonasuch at 11:10 AM on November 29, 2011

"Border print" is another name for the type of layout, like so.
posted by Metroid Baby at 11:17 AM on November 29, 2011

Etsy has some fun ones

Vegas!
pink floral
mod floral repeat
Birds
posted by ljesse at 11:40 AM on November 29, 2011

Superbuzzy sells a lot of Japanese border prints, some cutesy, some more grown-up. Most will be mid-weight cottons and cotton/linen blends, maybe some double gauzes. Gorgeous Fabrics sells a lot of border prints in a wider variety of fabrics.
posted by peachfuzz at 12:25 PM on November 29, 2011

Metroid baby linked to Spoonflower which is a business that custom prints fabric. You might be able to make your own design and get it printed.

One category they have is large print designs which might have something:

large designs
posted by bdc34 at 12:33 PM on November 29, 2011

So far, nothing off the rack that suits me. Though I'd still like to find something in a highly pictorial style, I don't think I can resist turning one of my favorite painter's work into a cute skirt in cotton sateen. Thanks! Find any landscape railroaded prints, please add them here!
posted by Ambrosia Voyeur at 1:29 PM on November 29, 2011

SuperBuzzy usually has border prints- a little pricey, but sooo cute
posted by dogmom at 7:28 PM on November 29, 2011

spoonflower "firebird". fab. u. lous.
posted by miss patrish at 9:39 PM on November 29, 2011

« Older I am buying a house and the ro...   |  I'm want to cook my husband a ... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.