Child’s Party Invitation Help / Gift Request
November 27, 2011 1:51 PM Subscribe
Please help me figure out how to word the birthday party invitation for my daughter.
posted by lunaazul to Grab Bag (30 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I was brought up to believe that a gift is at the discretion of the giver in terms of what to give or whether to give at all, so I’m having trouble getting my head around this idea for a child’s birthday party. Can you help me sort it out?
My daughter’s birthday falls very close to Christmas and as a result, she gets (too) many gifts. I want her to be conscious of the fact that she is very fortunate and encourage a charitable mindset. To this end, I am considering how to word the invitation to her party with classmates.
She has been invited to two parties where the birthday girl has requested a cash gift so that say 75% of the money could be donated to her favourite cause, and the remaining 25% could be pooled for her to purchase a gift she really wanted.
I like this idea for 3 reasons:
- Less stuff.
- It encourages empathy.
- It benefits those in need.
I’m uncomfortable with it for the following reasons:
- I was raised to believe that you don’t tell people what to give you.
- I was raised to believe that specifically asking for cash is tacky.
So my question is, which of the following should I do?
1) Make no indication of a preference unless asked.
2) Indicate something like the example noted above (donate 75%, buy one present with remaining 25%).
3) Indicate that she would like to forgo presents in lieu of a donation to X cause (In this case maybe I would buy her a small thing that I know she wants).
4) Another idea?
I don’t want to come off appearing “holier than thou”, I want to acknowledge that this is her special day, I feel uncomfortable with the “request” part of this, and I feel that teaching my child about charity is not something I need to request of other people, and yet I feel like she gets so much stuff this time of year that it’s too much to be truly appreciated.
What would you think if your child got an invitation requesting cash? If the idea doesn’t make you cringe, how would you word it?