Stop my puppy from running out the door.

Help me puppy proof my front door.

My dog Annie (obligatory picture) has only been with me for two weeks. She doesn't know stay yet so loves to run to the front door and see who is here. Since the front yard is not fenced and leads onto a road I'm afraid she's going to run out into it. She likes to slink by people and see what's up. So far I've managed to hold on to her but I'd like to be able to receive deliveries and sign for them without worrying about her.

I can't put up a gate across the front porch as it would interfere with the mailman. What I'm thinking is to put up something between the front door and the screen door.

It needs to be able to fit into a two inch gap and be 32" wide. It also can't be more than a foot high as the zbar that attaches the screen door gets in the way (otherwise I would get a baby gate). Any ideas of what this could be and where I could find it?
posted by kanata to Pets & Animals (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Annie looks capable of jumping a 1'-high obstacle.

If by "zbar" you mean a door closer, you might be able to remove that and reinstall it at the top of the door instead of down low. Failing that, it sounds like you may not need much more than a board cut to fit and wedged in place.
posted by jon1270 at 8:25 AM on November 20, 2011

For lack of any custom made solution, couldnt you just trim a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the spot?
posted by timsteil at 8:30 AM on November 20, 2011

I'm not too worried about her jumping as it is more just a break to slow here down before she runs out and she doesn't like to leave my side much.

I admit I am dumb and never thought of wood. I was too focused on some gate solution. I think wood would work out great. Thanks
posted by kanata at 8:51 AM on November 20, 2011

If you want a more elegant solution than a piece of plywood there is always the Retract-a-Gate.

I would also recommend working on basic training. Using positive reinforcement you can easily condition a dog to automatically go to a certain place (away from the front door)when someone knocks on the door or rings the doorbell.
posted by labwench at 9:02 AM on November 20, 2011 [3 favorites]

You can use a tether training method near the door, to work along with her learning to stay when you answer it. When used properly, it can be a great tool.

It's good to have friends come over to practice, and it's good to tell yourself you don't have to rush to get the door while you're training your dog and even after -- that if the people at the door really need you, and know you're home and will be there in a minute, they're not going to go away because you need a minute to help Annie get settled down.

When we first got our dog - a hound who'll still bolt - we used her leash around the leg of the chair (that soon became hers) near the door. I'd take a minute to clip her to the lead, then tell her "on your chair", then reward her for staying on it when I answered the door. The lead kept her from bolting if she "forgot", as she is stubborn, and houndy, and about as sharp as a sack of wet mice. Now she'll go there when we tell her to. It's a good and happy place for her, and it also keeps her from mooching at meals if we have guests and if I'm carrying groceries or moving things in and out.
posted by peagood at 9:19 AM on November 20, 2011 [2 favorites]

I use a baby gate to keep my pups from going where they should not.
posted by bolognius maximus at 9:34 AM on November 20, 2011

Just clip her lead on when you answer the door?
posted by DarlingBri at 1:10 PM on November 20, 2011

I also suggest clipping her lead on her before you open the door. Also, our bathroom is close to the front door and sometimes I'll put Kaylee in there before I open the door (she has barking issues not dashing issues, but it's the same idea).
posted by deborah at 5:47 PM on November 20, 2011

« Older What stocking-stuffer-sized gi...   |  Kung fu/martial arts fans - pl... Newer »