New iPhone 4S only plays half my music.
November 16, 2011 7:46 AM Subscribe
I just got an iPhone 4S. I "restored" the new iPhone from an iCloud backup of my previous iPhone 3GS. It worked almost
perfectly, but roughly half my music won't play!
posted by Cygnet to technology (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Here are the details.
1. I had an iPhone 3GS with AT&T service.
2. A few weeks ago, I enabled iCloud on my 3GS and on iTunes, which is running on my Windows 7 computer. I set my iPhone to back up to iCloud.
3. I ordered an iPhone 4S from Verizon, and asked to port my AT&T number.
4. The new phone arrived, I activated it, the number was successfully ported and my Verizon service successfully activated and the AT&T account was closed.
5. The new phone gave me the option to "restore" from the iCloud backup of my previous phone. I chose that option.
6. The new phone started to wirelessly download all my apps, settings, photos, notes, and even the web pages I had open in Safari - impressive! All my music seemed to appear in the "Music" app, but I didn't try to play any of it.
7. Then, because of an event I was attending, I had to turn my phone COMPLETELY OFF for a few hours.
8. When I got home and turned the phone back on, a message appeared saying I needed to update the software to iOS 5.0.1. I wirelessly downloaded the update.
9. I realized that the phone was still wirelessly downloading my photos. (When I looked at my photo album, a new photo would appear every few seconds.) I thought it was probably still working on music, too, and that it would probably go faster over USB, so I plugged in the iPhone and synced it to my iTunes library. This appeared to work - it said it was copying my whole library.
10. Today (the next day) I tried to play a playlist using the iPhone. About 50% of the songs play, and the other 50% do not. Puzzled, I connected the iPhone to iTunes, made sure I had "Sync Music" checked, and synced the iPhone. iTunes did a sync but did not copy any new data to the iPhone.
So, now: about 50% of the music on my iPhone will not play, even though the song titles and album art appear in playlists, etc. I have confirmed that if I try to play the songs by clicking on them while browsing the iPhone using iTunes, they do not play there either. (They are of course still on my computer, not corrupted or anything.) Basically, it seems as though the iPhone was interrupted while syncing the music and never finished it properly, but hasn't noticed.
What should I do to get all of my music back on my new iPhone, while keeping my other data safe?