Match this RAM with a motherboard

Help me find a motherboard

I bought 12 gigs (6 2 gig sticks) of OCZ3RPR1600C6LV6GK ram, but the motherboard I have only supports six gigs. Please help me find a motherboard that supports 12 gigs of this RAM and supports an i7 with a 1366 slot. I gave up on ever getting an answer to this question.
posted by Apoch to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Every LGA 1366 motherboard is capable of taking 24GB of RAM minimum, having six memory slots. It's in the spec for the chipset. A handful will take 48GB RAM (6x8GB) Your motherboard, the Asus P6X58D, is capable of 24GB. If it's not working, then I would consider calling Asus and getting a replacement as the motherboard has a 3-year warranty.

The issue you probably have with the memory is that the CAS Latency is very low. My Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R did not get along with 7-8-7-20 timings at 1666MHz out of the box. I ended up spending an afternoon getting the timings right at 8-8-8-24 at 1333MHz and saying to hell with it. This RAM is 6-8-6-24 which is a very low CAS Latency for DDR3.

Try making sure the RAM is set to the following before trying to lower the CAS/increase the clock:

CAS: 9-9-9-27-2T
Speed: 1333MHz (8:2 ratio)

You are not going to notice a difference in the timings. The CAS and memory speed were benchmarked to all hell by Tom's Hardware several months ago, and at most they were seeing 0.5-1% differences in their testing by running faster RAM.

Also: What operating system are you running? It was never mentioned before or now. If you are running a 32-bit version of Windows then this doesn't matter as you are limited to 4GB anyhow.

If you are hell bent on replacing the motherboard, the EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR is highly rated, along with the ASUS Sabertooth X58. Both are in the low $200 range, LGA 1366, 24GB RAM max, etc.
posted by Mister Fabulous at 9:52 AM on November 15, 2011

Just occurred to me: instead of dropping $200 on a new MoBo, maybe consider buying 12GB (3x4GB sticks specifically) of new RAM. There's plenty of 3x4GB kits around for $65-75 instead of $200 for a new MoBo.
posted by Mister Fabulous at 10:44 AM on November 15, 2011

If you follow Mister Fabulous's advice above, make sure your BIOS is up to date, one of the things mobo manufacturers will update is memory support.
posted by borkencode at 11:48 AM on November 15, 2011

I am running Win 7 64 bit. Asus specifically says in their supported device list that this specific RAM is only supported up to 6 gig, last I checked anyway. I will double check for new bios updates and the sdl again when I am not on my phone. I tried the settings suggested but it didn't work, if I did it tight. Screen shots of the bios to follow later. Thanks for the help, and the Ram cost more than the mobo.
posted by Apoch at 1:19 PM on November 15, 2011

Ram cost more than the mobo.

Sunk Cost Fallacy. The RAM is no longer worth more than a new motherboard. Don't go throwing good money after bad. If the only problem with the computer is that the RAM isn't compatible then go get different RAM. RAM prices have dropped like a rock in the last 1.5 years, especially for DDR3 RAM. You can max the board with 24GB for less ($130 for the kit) than a new motherboard.
posted by Mister Fabulous at 1:55 PM on November 15, 2011

Some of the USB ports have been physically destroyed so while i tolerate some swapping of cables, if I have to replace something, I'd rather it was the mobo.
posted by Apoch at 4:43 PM on November 15, 2011

The P6X58D-E is definitely rated for up to 24G of RAM.

From your previous question, it sounds like either a stick of RAM has gone bad, or one of the RAM slots on the mobo is borked.

Personally, I'm currently a fan of the ASUS P6T line of motherboards, but those'll set you back closer/over $300 than $200.

Just set up a couple of workstations at work/the lab based on ASUS P6T WS Professional X58 mobos. Nice layouts, lots of USB (and USB3.0) ports, lots of SATA3 and even SAS ports, heat management looks good, and although not an issue with OpenGL cards, the layout looks like it'd accomodate over-long DirectX video cards.

I have an old P6T Deluxe at home and it's great; I regret spending an extra few bucks for it over the P6T SE, which is almost identical only without an onboard SAS controller. Hmm, only a little over $200. One problem I've encountered with the P6T Deluxe(/SE) is that over-long GPUs rest right over one of the main SATA connector sites on the mobo; switching to L-shaped SATA connectors makes it a non-problem (unless I'm unplugging from the mobo), but it was annoying.
posted by porpoise at 7:01 PM on November 15, 2011

« Older My roommate and I were plannin...   |  NetbookSalefilter: I have two ... Newer »