Needing an "alternative lifestyle" hairdo in San Francisco

In San Francisco and in need of a good, cheap(ish) alternative haircut. Where should I look?

I'm in the mood for a very short, very...gay lady haircut lately, but am new to San Francisco. Normally, I keep my hair in some variety of this cut, as I have a really square face, but I'd like to just be able to go in and have a hairdresser choose something new for me. Any place that could be recommended for a good queer haircut? I'm looking to pay $60-70 max.
posted by Hot Like Your 12V Wire to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Ilona at Addiction Salon is amazing. She gave me a really dope fauxhawk.
posted by liketitanic at 1:03 PM on November 7, 2011 [1 favorite]

It's right at the limit of your budget, but short-haired me and a number of my well-coiffed queer ladies friends go to Zip Zap. I see James, but I'm under the impression all the stylists are pretty great.

Also, trust me, especially in SF that's not a very short or alternative haircut at all. Very cute though!
posted by mostlymartha at 1:03 PM on November 7, 2011

Zip Zap, at Haight & Fillmore. Eddie's been cutting my hair for almost 10 years, but I've also had it cut by Clar and James. All do great jobs. I pay about $50 but I think I get the "regular, longtime customer" discount.
posted by rtha at 1:05 PM on November 7, 2011

I've only been to Zip Zap once, but I'd go back again without a second thought. Great place.
posted by majick at 1:40 PM on November 7, 2011

I go to Pretty Pretty Collective in the Mission. I've been there twice and have been happy. They get great yelp reviews as well. I also like that you can schedule your haircut through their website.
posted by pompelmo at 4:39 PM on November 7, 2011

Thanks for all the Zip Zap plugs! I had Justin do my hair and it looks fabulous. :)
posted by Hot Like Your 12V Wire at 2:43 PM on November 8, 2011

« Older PDX Filter: Had a small meltdo...   |  We've got 18 days in Southeast... Newer »