Are there any built in tools in my CyanogenMod7 Android phone that would help me locate it? Or anything else?

My android phone (BACKside ROM / CyanogenMod7) was lost/possibly stolen in a foreign country. Any clever ways to find it/get it back?

So my phone downloaded the Get Stolen/Grow Legs and Walk Away apps this past weekend. I've turned over rooms and rooms looking for the thing and it's nowhere to be seen.

It's a Virgin Mobile Optimus V with a custom Android ROM installed -- The BACKside CyanogenMod7 port (http://bit.ly/vTPFcD).

Are there any built in tools in CyanogenMod7 or this port that would help me get this phone back?

Here's another weird thing. I installed the new facebook messaging application and my friends are telling me that my name is still showing up with a phone icon. However, I'm pretty sure the phone is in airplane mode. Does the icon just stay on until you sign off on the phone or does that mean it's actively connected? The phone is CDMA and doesn't work here, but I've been using it on wifi.

There is a lock screen on the phone, but it's a simple swipe password, so I'm sure if somebody took it, they'll figure it out eventually. There's nothing sensitive on the phone and I've already changed passwords to the linked accounts.

I've also put up flyers, posted messages on facebook, and asked people about it.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
posted by apip to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Maybe Lookout's Plan B?
posted by the dief at 10:01 AM on November 7, 2011 [1 favorite]

Yeah, install Plan B to your phone via your Google market account & it'll email you with it's GPS co-ordinates so sold as it hasn't been wiped in the meantime.
posted by pharm at 10:05 AM on November 7, 2011

I'm giving plan B a shot -- feels strange typing that as a guy. I'll report back momentarily. Thanks.
posted by apip at 10:07 AM on November 7, 2011

No luck yet. No emails and I tried texting from another number to no avail.
posted by apip at 10:12 AM on November 7, 2011

Assuming that it was found and the lockscreen was decoded, GPS would have to be enabled, and the phone would have to be in a place with a good line of sight to the sky. Since the phone won't work with local carriers, SMS is not going to work either. Plan B is a neat app, but it's a total longshot, sorry.
posted by Horselover Phattie at 10:18 AM on November 7, 2011

« Older What does the one year old set...   |  Where can I find Coconut Juicy... Newer »