Help me hack fear of failure
November 2, 2011 3:22 PM Subscribe
What are your personal hacks for getting over fear of failure?
posted by carolinaherrera to human relations (19 answers total) 78 users marked this as a favorite
While generally outgoing and bold in many ways, I have a few mental blocks with regard to taking personal and professional risks.
For example, I have several entrepreneurial opportunities I'm considering. I'm afraid of making a mistake and choosing the wrong one and of putting myself out there and then failing. I'm afraid of blogging about subjects on which I have some expertise because I might say something stupid. I'm afraid of being branded as an expert in x and then wanting to transition into y.
I'm extroverted in social settings and comfortable talking to the opposite sex, going to parties where I don't know anyone, etc. I have some social anxiety, but come across as sociable and friendly.
When I analyze my fears, I realize that my concerns are:
- I'll attach my name to a project and have it fail utterly, for reasons I should have anticipated
- The idea will have been stupid from the start and I should have known better
- My actions will keep me from good opportunities in the future
- It will be hard to "re-brand" myself -- "Wait, weren't you all excited about an education startup last week? Why are so into mobile applications this week?"
- People I respect will roll their eyes when I say, "Well, I'm changing direction and now I'm doing y."
- I'll promote some big initiative and won't get any interest and make a fool of myself for even trying.
Can the hivemind give me some helpful scripts to explain myself to others (or myself?) when I'm not yet sure what I'm doing, so I can sound confident but still give me room to transition?
Have you had these fears? How do you get over them? What are your personal hacks for becoming less afraid of putting yourself out there?