Suggest some online PS3 coop games?

Recommend some good online multiplayer cooperative games for the PS3? (with a split-screen twist!)

A friend of mine is moving away, and several of us would like to stay in touch by gaming together.

So I am looking for some solid multiplayer games for the PS3 that can be played both split screen and online at the same time (3 consoles, 4 people). This is important, as both my girlfriend and I will be playing on a single console / tv.

The ideal game in my mind is something like Left 4 Dead 2, which of course is not available. Are there similar games that are co-op, or at least not super completive that'll get us angry at each other?

Don't limit things to FPS games, almost any kind of genre would work for us, as long as we can waste an hour or two here and there on it.
posted by cschneid to Technology (11 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Have you tried Borderlands?
posted by cmgonzalez at 9:24 PM on October 31, 2011 [2 favorites]

Well, it's not exactly what you want, but the new Uncharted has three-player co-op where two of the people can be on the same console. Also, it's getting universal acclaim and is released tomorrow.
posted by supercres at 9:58 PM on October 31, 2011

Oh! What about Rock Band? Any combination of people on any number of consoles works there. I've never tried playing with people I know, but there must be some way to search by PSN ID.
posted by supercres at 10:02 PM on October 31, 2011

Fear 3 should work, I just played that with my husband last night, split screen. There also seemed to be a play online at the same time option.
posted by Ms. Moonlight at 1:17 AM on November 1, 2011

I'll repeat the suggestion for Borderlands. It's great for a quick-ish pickup game, the story and art style are really fun, and you will have to restrain yourself from hoarding all the awesome firearms.
posted by lillygog at 6:00 AM on November 1, 2011

Nthing Uncharted 3, which should be waiting for me when I get home. Also, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (which came out last year) and AC: Revelations (coming out next week) have co-op multiplayer, but I don't know if they support simultaneous split-screen and online.
posted by zombieflanders at 7:48 AM on November 1, 2011

Portal 2, although that only has 2 player co-op.
posted by Hactar at 8:22 AM on November 1, 2011

Borderlands can't do split-screen and online at the same time. Borderlands 2 will be able to do that (but the two-player console won't be able to host).
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 8:53 AM on November 1, 2011

The new Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One does both split screen and online (you can even choose to play split screen on or offline to join random strangers), and is pretty fun. It's mostly cooperative with some minor competitive elements.

LittleBigPlanet (and LBP2) also allow simultaneous split and online coop (with competitive elements).
posted by Gortuk at 9:27 AM on November 1, 2011

Also - a good resource for finding co-op games is Co-Optimus - you can use their search tool to find only PS3 games with split-screen online play - it finds 12 games, including Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 which is really fun with a group of people.
posted by Gortuk at 9:34 AM on November 1, 2011

D'oh! I assumed Borderlands could already do splitscreen and online. Sorry, OP, although maybe keep an eye out for Borderlands 2.
posted by lillygog at 4:59 PM on November 1, 2011

« Older What's the best way to build a...   |  What are the most elegant expe... Newer »