What kind of fish is this?

What kind of fish is this?

We found this fish along the eastern bank of the Hudson River on Dennings Point, near Beacon, NY. It was about a foot long, dead but not yet decaying, hard as a rock. When we flipped it over, it looked identical on the other side. I thought it might be a sunfish or shad, but I don't think that's right. Can anyone identify it?
posted by flyingsquirrel to Science & Nature (4 answers total)

I think it's probably a Pacu. People keep them as pets, they get much too big, and they let them loose in rivers.
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 2:06 PM on October 22, 2011

Looks like a Pacu to me. Maybe someone set their pet free, and it died? They aren't native to NY...
posted by Philosopher Dirtbike at 2:07 PM on October 22, 2011

Pacu it is. Thanks!
posted by flyingsquirrel at 2:11 PM on October 22, 2011

People set them free all the time because they don't realize how big they get. I have seen several pics from the Minneapolis area of Pacu too, that large otr larger. They can survive near the power plant warm water discharges.
posted by sanka at 5:21 PM on October 22, 2011

« Older How does a generally unintelli...   |  How do I delay/slow down web p... Newer »