Give me the Halloween that Alvin and the Chipmunks always dreamed of.
October 18, 2011 6:52 PM Subscribe
I'm going to a costume party for Halloween. The theme is 80s and 90s cartoon characters. Help me find a costume that won't be expensive or challenging to move around in, but will be awesome.
posted by decathecting to clothing, beauty, & fashion (30 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I am a 5'10" woman who wears about a size 12. I'm white and have shoulder-length curly red hair (and no desire to dress up as Annie). I own a standard selection of fairly boring women's work and casual clothes, but I own very few special props or costumes. Possibility of roping friends (a 6' man, a 5'6" man, and a 5'4" woman) into joining if the idea is good enough.
I suspect that while the theme is cartoons, I'd get points for any pop culture figure or phenomenon that would have captivated as a child a person who is now 25-35 years old. So, live action is okay, celebrities, etc., but kid stuff.
Things I would prefer:
- Not to wear a box or a cardboard sign or anything else that would make it difficult to sit down.
- Not to carry a lot of props in my hands (props attached to the costume are fine.
- Something with full coverage. If I could wear it with normal clothes, that's great, but as long as I don't have to bare a lot of skin, that'll do.
- No body paint. Some amount of makeup on the face is okay, but if you tell me I have to paint myself siver, that's out the window.
- But not terribly elaborate. I can't spend hundreds of dollars on props, and I don't have hours of free time to sew a dress from scratch. Also, I suck at sewing.
In theory, weather will be in about the 50s-60s, possibly raining, and I'll spend time both indoors over the course of the night. Thank you!