Buy curtains, get sleep?
October 15, 2011 5:31 AM Subscribe
What is the best way to lower the ambient noise in my bedroom given the following constraints? (Snowflakes inside)
posted by carolinaherrera to Home & Garden (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
First off, assume that I cannot use ear plugs or white noise. I'm experimenting with those based on other Askme questions, so for this question, I'm looking for home improvement-type answers ONLY. :)
I live in a room in a city apartment that faces the street and shares walls with the living room, kitchen, and hallway, like this:
k x x l
i x x i
t x x v
c x x i
h x x n
e x x g
n x x room
(Sorry, I am a terrible artist!) The point is, all of the walls generate some kind of noise, either from people or vehicles.
- I am extremely UN-handy. I can barely use scissors. Solutions that require me to hang plasterboard or do something with egg crates probably won't work for me.
- I am renting, so no major modifications
- Cost is not a huge concern. I'm willing to buy the 3 sets of curtains or the super fancy ones if that will work best. On the other hand, I don't want to hire an acoustic contractor to remodel the room.
- The noises I'm dealing with are not particularly loud, but I have anxiety and startle awake easily. Trucks driving by. People having breakfast or walking in the hallway.
- Noise-blocking curtains: Which ones have you used? Which ones do you like? The street noise (traffic and voices) comes through a window which is the only source of light. Are there noise-blocking curtains that are not also light-blocking curtains?
- Sound dampening plastic film on windows: Have you used it? Was it relatively easy to install? Did it work?
- Wall curtains: Would it look weird if I put curtains on all of my walls? It's a very small room. Is there a way to make this look better? I'm kind of decorating impaired as well so any suggestions would be helpful.
- Foam pads/blankets: Is there a place where I can buy already made sound panels covered in pretty fabrics to hang on my walls, rather than having to buy sound foam and cover it myself (requiring skill and time I don't have)?
- What else has worked for you?
Thank you, Mefites! I love this community!