Need advice for trip to Palm Springs and maybe Los Angeles.
October 13, 2011 4:28 PM Subscribe
Need advice for trip to Los Angeles and Palm Springs, CA.
posted by kdern to Travel & Transportation around Los Angeles, CA (16 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
My wife and I are going to Palm Springs for a few days in December. Our hotel in Palm Springs is already booked, but we have some questions about plans before and after.
About us: mid 30s, into cultural stuff (but not lots of museums), diversity, interesting neighborhoods. I like to take photos, she likes to shop. We both like to eat... Jewish delis, Indian food, sushi, occasional upscale restaurants.
1. We live in St. Louis but we are going to be in Phoenix for a few days before Palm Springs. Better to drive through the desert or fly? We will have rental cars either way.
2. I've been to Los Angeles only for a day when I was a teenager, and my wife has never been. We're considering going either for a day trip from Palm Springs, for just one night (flying home next day from LAX) or for 2 nights (flying home on last day from LAX).
Is it feasible to do a day trip to LA from Palm Springs? Or would we spend more time getting in and out of the city to make it worth it? Same question about one night - maybe it's more trouble than it's worth.
Here's what I imagine I'd be interested in doing in LA:
- Some of the typical touristy things (Rodeo drive, studio tour, etc.) Maybe a bus tour to get them all over with at once.
- Pick a cool neighborhood to explore (Melrose Avenue? Malibu? Venice Beach?)
- Great ethnic food? In n Out? Taco trucks? Sushi?
- Getty museum?
- If we stayed long enough, see a taping of a show?
I know LA is a big city and it's hard to know what we'd enjoy, but I can tell you that on our last trip to NY, we spent all of three days in SOHO, Village, Lower East Side and Chelsea. Only went above 23rd street once to see a show.
Or... is it possible that LA really isn't that exciting and we should just spend more time chilling in Phoenix and Palm Springs?
Thanks for any advice!