ROGUES ROGUES EVERYWHERE but there is unfortunately a more limited selection for Macs
October 12, 2011 4:34 PM Subscribe
I need roguelike or roguelike-like games that will work on OS X Lion or an iPhone 4, maaaaybe a PS3 but I'm not looking to spend much money. I have some optional preferences.
posted by Nattie to Grab Bag (18 answers total) 33 users marked this as a favorite
I just blew through The Binding of Isaac, beat it twelve times including with ???, and only have five more items to find. I'm going to need something else to play once this is over because I still have the roguelike (and roguelike-like) bug.
I'm not picky except that it must work on OS X Lion or an iPhone and maybe a PS3. Unfortunately, Nethack no longer works on OS X Lion, so my old standby doesn't seem to be an option. By roguelike and roguelike-like, I mean something where there are randomly-generated dungeons and lots of items to equip, and is usually pretty difficult (death is permanent, or there's at least a permadeath option).
HERE ARE MY OPTIONAL PREFERENCES:
- A GUI would be nice, even a lame one, but I can do without.
- It does not need to be turn-based, hence roguelike-like.
- One thing I don't like about Nethack is that you really do need to get some specific items to have any hope of winning, since there are monsters that will instant-kill you otherwise; sometimes this feels really tedious. One thing I like about The Binding of Isaac is that you can actually make due with anything you find, it's just harder if you only find bad stuff. If you can actually win the game based on skill, not luck, without finding ideal items, please note this as that will greatly appeal to me! (In Nethack you can technically win even without certain items if you're very lucky, i.e. you keep winning the rolls against instant-death. That doesn't really make the items optional in my mind.)
- I tend not to like first person controls, especially shooters, but I'll make exceptions for certain games (Bioshock) if they're interesting enough. Third-person I like.
- Games that can be won in less than two hours are pretty neato. I've found that in The Binding of Isaac but not much else.
GAMES I HAVE PLAYED:
- The Binding of Isaac
- Angband (been a long time, if there's a Mac port I'm willing to play it again)
- 100 Rogues on iPhone (fun, but not many items)
- Diablo and Diablo II, if you tell me to play the D3 beta I will cry because DON'T YOU THINK I WISH I HAD A BETA KEY, DON'T YOU THINK
- Kings Field I, II, and whatever that one after it was; granted these aren't randomly generated OR turn-based, but there are items and they're brutal enough that they hold the same appeal
I'm willing to be a @ symbol in other games, Angband and Nethack are just the only roguelikes I ever really tried out.