Help me archive web pages

Help me archive web pages.

The iPad browser I use lets you save a web page locally inside the app and access it from a bookmark.

I'd like to do the same when using Chrome on my laptop. I know you can Wrench > Save Page As. But I don't know how to edit a bookmark so that it will point to the locally stored version of the page.

Ideally, the saved page and the bookmark would be created at the same time - as in the iPad browser.
posted by Trurl to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

Well you probably know this already but just in case ... what you're wanting seems to be unusually difficult in Chrome as they don't really have a normal 'Manage Bookmarks' facility .

In short if you're willing to use FF you can do this albeit without the 'saved page and the bookmark would be created at the same time' bit
posted by southof40 at 10:13 PM on October 5, 2011

I do this with Pinboard. For $25 a year, any page I bookmark is also archived (including videos and formatting) so I have a chached copy of everything.
posted by babby╩╝); Drop table users; -- at 1:06 AM on October 6, 2011

slightly OT: httrack
posted by yoyo_nyc at 4:08 AM on October 6, 2011

Get a BIG drive. I use a Hitachi 3TB internal SATA drive (for which you have to run a free initializer). (Note that an external eSATA dock doesn't work for this drive.)

Go to Gizmo's Freeware and pick a ripper that suits you. Then rip the entire target site to your computer and prune the stuff you don't need. The ripping will probably need to run overnight.

If you don't need the entire site, some of the rippers let you download parts of it.
posted by KRS at 10:36 AM on October 6, 2011

« Older Landlord changed move in date...   |  Anyone have experience of usin... Newer »