online resources to evaluate cities?

I'm looking for online resources to evaluate American cities. I have seen, what other well-done sites are there where I can go in and put in "Bozeman" or "Amarillo" or "Augusta" and get cost-of-living, demographic and housing information, and other city facts? Extra points if there is some kind of side-by-side comparisonator.
posted by cashman to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite has a lot of info. Don't know about fancy comparisonators though.
posted by dyobmit at 1:46 PM on October 5, 2011

Sperling's Best Places.
posted by maurreen at 1:48 PM on October 5, 2011

I would sign up for the free trial of ESRIs Community Analyst program and map it out. You can select a lot of different types of demographic information and then create maps and reports. I think you can only make seven reports with the trial, but I think that's only if you officially create the report, you could look at the data without pulling a report.
posted by stormygrey at 2:08 PM on October 5, 2011 Cost of living they don't do much on, but housing and demographics they're the source everyone else is going to be pulling from. Their site can be a bit tricky just because there's so much there, but most of the stuff you want is in American Factfinder. Most importantly, if you dig a bit you can find helpdesk info fir their local offices, and a real live person will email you back.
posted by Diablevert at 2:08 PM on October 5, 2011

You can plug "Bozeman vs. Amarillo", for example, into Wolfram Alpha to get side-by-side comparisons. You can use "vs." to compare all sorts of things, like bacon vs. cheddar.
posted by partylarry at 3:18 PM on October 5, 2011

Almost all of these sites ultimately derive their data from the American Community Survey.
posted by dhartung at 4:37 PM on October 5, 2011

« Older Thanksgiving dining alternatives in as Vegas   |   Help me learn Spanish! Newer »