"Fresh" Can of Mountain Dew

Problem: a good friend wants one of my delicious Mountain Dew Throwbacks. Solution: Empty can of delicious Mountain Dew and refill with disgusting Diet Coke. Problem: I can't reseal a can of Mountain Dew. Solution?

To empty the can, I nailed two holes in the bottom of the can, then emptied the soda out one hole. I then filled can through one of the holes while gas escaped from the other.

Things I've tried:
  • Tape
  • Tape with sticky tack
  • Hot Glue
  • Hot Glue with sticky tack
  • Tape with Hot Glue
  • Sticky tack with tape with hot glue
None of these methods work. So, hivemind, how do I reseal a can of soda? I'm willing to spend a small amount of money on this prank.
posted by 47triple2 to Grab Bag (45 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

What kind of tape did you use? I bet a reasonable sized patch of duct tape would work.
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 9:24 AM on September 30, 2011

I used clear scotch tape. In my experience, duct tape and water from the inside don't mix well. (Which is why I'm always confused why duct tape over the mouth is a good restraint. But, I digress...)

Yes, it would be easier to save my Dews, but that's not the point.
posted by 47triple2 at 9:27 AM on September 30, 2011

Additional problem: If you do manage to reseal it, it will be obvious when he pops the top that the can is not factory-fresh. There's no way that it'll have that distinctive "ksssshhhh!" sound. It'll sound like opening a can of non-carbonated juice. I assume your end goal is for him to drink the Diet Coke unknowingly?
posted by supercres at 9:28 AM on September 30, 2011

a) Pepsi blue
b) Where are you? Mountain Dew Throwback is on every store shelf here
c) JB Weld will seal the can, though (i) it'll probably go flat and (ii) it is most definitely not food safe
posted by workerant at 9:29 AM on September 30, 2011

Most adhesives don't play well with fluids. I would try to plug the holes first (with a little cork or rubber or something) and then seal the plugs in place with some hot glue or gorilla glue.
posted by muddgirl at 9:31 AM on September 30, 2011 [5 favorites]

It is possible that a small sheet metal screw with a small rubber or nylon washer under it might bite well enough to seal, especially if you keep the hole diameter small. Just a thought.

If you are careful with the pouring you might be able to keep it carbonated enough to kshshhh a little when it opens, even.
posted by ftm at 9:34 AM on September 30, 2011

Open a can for yourself at the same time as he opens his doctored can, so as to conceal the missing kpshhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
posted by foursentences at 9:35 AM on September 30, 2011 [6 favorites]

By "gorilla glue," I really mean Goop, which should adhesive anything you're using to anything you're using. But please don't get a single bit of it in contact with liquid.

Another idea I just had is to cut a piece of soda can tin and fashion a new bottom, using a metal epoxy to fix it around the holes. But again, this stuff shouldn't be consumed.
posted by muddgirl at 9:35 AM on September 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

a) Pepsi Blue

More like Mtn. Dew Green, amirite? :)
Also, the point is not me being greedy with my Mountain Dews. It's me wanting to prank a friend.

This is actually what causes the problem. None of the sealants seal fast enough that the carbonation does not escape the soda and create a pathway through the sealant.

Where could I procure a small enough cork?
posted by 47triple2 at 9:35 AM on September 30, 2011

Procure a standard-size cork and cut it to fit.
posted by muddgirl at 9:37 AM on September 30, 2011 [2 favorites]

Paraffin wax like they use to seal jam & jelly?

In theory you could melt the wax, turn the can upside down, pour the wax through the holes, the wax floats, cools, and hardens and makes a solid plug. Then you turn it right-side up and wah-lah.

In practice it might not be so easy . . .
posted by flug at 9:37 AM on September 30, 2011 [3 favorites]

Try using real duct tape. It is a metal foil tape that is designed to stick to metals. It can be easily cut to the shape of the bottom of the can and be almost indistinguishable from the real thing.
posted by Gungho at 9:37 AM on September 30, 2011 [2 favorites]

What if you initially sealed the hole with a drop of wax, let that harden, and then put a drop of epoxy over that?
posted by 8dot3 at 9:38 AM on September 30, 2011

Also you might consider making the hole fit the cork rather than the other way around.
posted by flug at 9:39 AM on September 30, 2011

Could you just fold some duct tape into a teeny patch, and then duct tape that to the hole, so the liquid isn't coming into contact with the actual adhesive part of the tape?
posted by little cow make small moo at 9:40 AM on September 30, 2011

I've never used the stuff myself, so I don't know if it'll be airtight, but maybe give a bit of sugru a shot? Caveat: it's not food safe, so don't let your friend drink soda that comes in contact with it.
posted by phatkitten at 9:44 AM on September 30, 2011

Can you cut a hole in the bottom to drain out the Dew, and poke a tiny hole maybe in the top/side of the can (where the top circular rim meets the crushable column part) to help flow? Then you wouldn't have to worry so much about the aesthetics of resealing the bottom--Gungho's idea would work pretty well, I bet. Then you could probably seal the top tiny pin-hole with a drop of wax or hot-glue, since it just has to be a sealant, not an adhesive.

Please do let us know how it goes; what a prank!
posted by stellaluna at 9:45 AM on September 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

Could you cut the top and bottom off of the mountain dew can and slip the shell over an unopend diet coke can?
posted by dabug at 9:45 AM on September 30, 2011 [3 favorites]

DOH. Nevermind. That's what I get for answering without reading your very first sentence under the "more inside".
posted by stellaluna at 9:47 AM on September 30, 2011

I tried the prank yesterday and nothing worked. That's why I'm coming to the hivemind today. Getting ready for try 2! So, any suggestions on how to fill the can are also helpful!
posted by 47triple2 at 9:49 AM on September 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

To fill the can: drip the soda down a piece of dental floss that is threaded into the hole.
posted by 8dot3 at 9:51 AM on September 30, 2011

Additional problem: If you do manage to reseal it, it will be obvious when he pops the top that the can is not factory-fresh. There's no way that it'll have that distinctive "ksssshhhh!" sound.

Put a little bit of yeast inside, it'll eat the sugars and spit out CO2 to carbonate it. You'll need to experiment on your timing, and I'd start with 1/8 tsp.
posted by soma lkzx at 9:52 AM on September 30, 2011

So, i like the screw idea. If you drill the holes small, then tape the glue with plumber's tape (what they use to wrap the threaded ends of pipe fixtures, etc), and also use a small piece of sheetmetal to add some extra grip for the screw to hold onto, that may work. As long as they don't turn the can over and see the two screws in the bottom.

I'm figuring the plumber's tape will provide enough of a water tight seal, at least to last for the prank.

then shake the can a little before giving, and it should psh-shhht when opening.
posted by rich at 9:52 AM on September 30, 2011

You are going about this all wrong.

You shouldn't be filling a Mt Dew can w/ Diet Coke -- you should be disguising a Diet Coke can to look like Mt Dew!

Get a can of Diet Coke. Get a can of Mt Dew. Drink and savor the delicious Mt Dew. Then cut the top of the can off, using a Sawz-All, and being careful to not bend the aluminum. Punch a small hole in the bottom. Now slide this sleeve over the can of Diet Coke. If it doesn't fit exactly, mist the exterior and stuck it in the freezer for a bit so the ice will hide any irregularities. Serve to friend, reap lulz.
posted by BitterOldPunk at 9:53 AM on September 30, 2011 [33 favorites]

My uncle performed a similar stunt (though replace Diet Coke with urine, as he was aiming to get back at an anonymous co-worker stealing his lunch). He plugged the hole with a rubber stopper, so I know it can be done. I don't know where he got his, but maybe a hobby shop? I'm imagining a chemistry set full of variously-sized pipettes in need of stoppering. Or what about those little cologne/perfume samples? They are often sealed with rubber stoppers.
posted by Terminal Verbosity at 9:54 AM on September 30, 2011 [2 favorites]

If it's the carbonation knocking the seal open before you can get the glues to cure, then you need a really fast-curing glue. Like super-glue. But super-glue doesn't fill holes, so you need to first close up the volume of the hole without making it airtight - maybe use a silicone glue but leave a tiny airspace in the seal, and then use the superglue to close the tiny hole. Or use a moldable substance (warm wax, sculpey, sugru, etc), press it onto the hole to get an impression but pull it back off again, and harden/cure it independent of hte can. Then smear the outside with superglue and slide back into place.
posted by aimedwander at 9:56 AM on September 30, 2011

Put a little bit of yeast inside, it'll eat the sugars and spit out CO2 to carbonate it.

Not if 47triple2 is using Diet Coke.
posted by DevilsAdvocate at 9:57 AM on September 30, 2011 [2 favorites]

2nding BitterOldPunk's suggestion, which is also a handy method of sneaking beer into places where it's normally not allowed. With a sleight of hand you can make this look very believable too. With the right equipment and a CO2 canister you could try a rubber stopper valve (much like the kind of valve you'd find on a volley ball). I think that approach will be easier to hand off unnoticed, but will also be a lot trickier to get working than simply forging the outside appearance.
posted by samsara at 10:01 AM on September 30, 2011

Man, the suggestions to use various epoxies and glue seem to be begging for someone to get actually poisoned.
posted by empath at 10:05 AM on September 30, 2011 [3 favorites]

1) buy 8 oz can of diet coke. do not open it.
2) cut circular hole in top of 12 oz throwback can
3) put a spacer in the bottom of the can for 8 oz coke can to rest on such that its top is flush with the edges of the hole
4) trim a can cozy to fit inside the 12 oz can, insert it
5) insert 8 oz can into 12 oz can
6) seal the sharp edges of the 12 oz can to the top of the 8 oz can with food-safe silicone (perhaps the kind used for aquariums?). Allow it to dry / cure.
7) hand to friend, remind them how weird cans used to look in the old days
posted by zippy at 10:05 AM on September 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

Honestly, the easiest solution is to get bottles, use Diet Dew, and then disguise the already opened cap by opening it yourself and handing it to him.
posted by pupdog at 10:25 AM on September 30, 2011 [3 favorites]

Then cut the top of the can off, using a Sawz-All

I can't imagine a Sawz-all making a clean cut through aluminum that thin. Just use a utility knife or x-acto, and be prepared to wear out a few blades. Use heat and cold to shrink the Diet Coke can and expand the sleeve. Don't freeze though, because the soda will expand.
posted by hydrophonic at 10:31 AM on September 30, 2011

Or even worse -- Diet Monster.
posted by empath at 10:31 AM on September 30, 2011

I tried the prank yesterday and nothing worked.

When you say you tried the prank yesterday, what do you mean? You can't try a prank twice.

Just use a utility knife or x-acto, and be prepared to wear out a few blades.

You can cut the top off a soda can in ten seconds with basically any pocket knife.
posted by The World Famous at 10:47 AM on September 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

I say a small rubber stopper is the way to go. You want something squishy enough that you can plug it into the hole but still dense/stiff enough that it expands to a waterproof seal.

Try a pencil eraser.

Also the screw idea should definitely work. Use a screw slightly larger (at its base, not its tip) than your original hole and put a rubber washer of some sort in place.
posted by sprocket87 at 10:47 AM on September 30, 2011

There appear to be vibration-reducing silicon screws on the market. You may want to visit a PC supply center [1] [2].

Hats off to your uncle...
Not so fast. He worked at a power plant at the time and all employees were under standing orders to report any suspicious odors, should there be a leak of some sort. The funny-tasting soda nearly caused a reenactment of The China Syndrome.
posted by Terminal Verbosity at 11:07 AM on September 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

Everyone's approach is wrong. You aren't going to be able to seal it when it's full of pressurized soda.

You'll almost certainly get better results installing a resealable opening or valve in the bottom while the can is empty, and then after the glue has set, use that to refill it with whatever beverage you choose.

If you throw in some small chips of dry ice before sealing it, that will help restore the carbonation lost while transferring the liquid. (too much will make it blow up, so be careful!)
posted by aubilenon at 11:33 AM on September 30, 2011 [2 favorites]

If you're going to go the bottle route, you can just use a bottle capper.

(A friend once filled my empty IPA bottle with water, recapped it, and put it back in the fridge...)
posted by neckro23 at 1:43 PM on September 30, 2011

Drill very small holes (rather than puncturing which creates a relatively large jagged hole).

Use solder and a regular high wattage soldering iron to seal up the holes.

Also if you chill the can and contents before resealing the expansion of the liquid will help firm up the can. Not a lot but every little bit will help.

PS: a doubt a screw is going to be effective, the metal of a standard aluminum can is so thin the screw isn't going to hold effectively.
posted by Mitheral at 1:48 PM on September 30, 2011

Given a small drilled hole(s) on the bottom, no bigger than 1/8", I bet I could get a good seal using this method:

1. Refill with cold pepsi, keeping the can upside down.

2. Use a hot glue gun, pressed up against the hole, and inject a small dollop through the hole. No more than the volume of a pencil eraser. Just enough to form a plug on the inside.

3. Flip the can. The cold pepsi will cure the glue in a matter of seconds. The glue will not have much chance to flow- just enough to make a good plug.

And as stated above, solder should work splendidly on a small hole. Less confidence of food safety, however.
posted by colinshark at 3:03 PM on September 30, 2011

*delete* Mitcheral has it.
posted by mmdei at 3:07 PM on September 30, 2011

You could try this video on how to close a can of soda that has been emptied. It might work.
posted by tacodave at 3:27 PM on September 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

You're really telling someone to solder something that someone is going to drink from, while it's full of the beverage that's going to be consumed?
posted by empath at 3:41 PM on September 30, 2011

Getting ready for try 2! So, any suggestions on how to fill the can are also helpful!

You are a champ, dude!

Let me think. Can you think of anything that could deliver liquid from a tiny opening into another?

Hmmm....
posted by hal_c_on at 6:43 PM on September 30, 2011

empath writes "You're really telling someone to solder something that someone is going to drink from, while it's full of the beverage that's going to be consumed?"

Why not? The technique was common before the invention of the crimp lid can. I don't know whether the technique I linked too will be successful but if it is there shouldn't be any danger (assuming the use of lead free solder and even then the exposure would be low). If one is feeling extra paranoid keep the can refrigerated and use within 48 hours.
posted by Mitheral at 11:46 PM on September 30, 2011

« Older I dropped a handmade coffee mu...   |  How can I house break a 6-year... Newer »