Where to stay in New York?
September 28, 2011 9:39 PM Subscribe
I'm possibly coming to New York for a week on Oct 15th, and I have no idea where to stay. I don't really have time for any in depth research - please help.
posted by kjs4 to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (16 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
I'm going to New York to be the witness at the wedding of a close friend and his boyfriend (because they can't get married here yet - but that's another conversation) They're staying in Soho, but I don't want to be a third wheel, so probably not there. I've looked at AirBnB, but the range of neighbourhoods is paralysing.
I'd like to stay somewhere with the following:
- Easy and interesting to explore by foot and/or by bicycle.
- Not too touristy
- Things to do at night
- Filled with quirks and unique finds as opposed to chain stores or touristy over the topness
- Pleasant/interesting architecture and streetscapes
- Easy access to the subway for going to explore the touristy bits
- Not too expensive (I know, it's New York)
- I'm 30, female and will be travelling alone, so somewhere that feels safe is preferred. (I generally trend toward fairly bold - I'm happy to wander most places alone)
One of my favourite things to do is sit in a cafe or bar and watch the world go on around me. Or explore small art galleries and interesting shops. Suggestions for things to do and other places to explore gladly welcomed.