Tumblr Tags Issue

Tumblr folks (any left?): Is there a trick to proper tagging or is tagging buggy? I have tagged all my own work with my blog name, but only two of nine show when I search that tag.

I recently started a Tumblr blog, mainly to post my own work and other artists' work I like (yes, I always name/link the source). Anyway, the tag has spaces in it, does that matter? I've tried editing the posts - deleting the tag and re-typing it - to no avail. Is there a limit to the number of tags a post can have (I think I've used maybe 6-7 max). Any ideas?

(Also, any related or non-related Tumblr tips appreciated. I know Tumblr may be yesterday's game, but I like it so far.)
posted by Glinn to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Tagging is super buggy. The search function is even buggier.
posted by troika at 11:34 AM on September 28, 2011

when I search for my own tags, while I am logged in as myself, I always get zero results. the search function on Tumblr is beyond buggy.
posted by ohshenandoah at 12:30 PM on September 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

I think that tagging may be case-sensitive, not sure, but that could affect your searches (and results) if I'm correct.
I've had success with using a ridiculously-huge tag cloud. If I click the tag, I always see 100% of my posts with those tags. Downside is that if you display a huge tag cloud on your tumblr, it takes forever to load.
Search function is indeed buggy, in my experience.
posted by erasorhed at 2:08 PM on September 28, 2011

Both search and tagging are terribly buggy. Searching on my own frickin' tumblr for tags I know I've used rarely brings up the posts i'm looking for. And using the saved tags on my dashboard will bring up different results each time.
posted by sarahnade at 2:29 PM on September 28, 2011

Nope, it's broken.
I've got a tag saved on my dashboard, and only ever get three items, even though the widget in the sidebar says there are 10.
posted by Su at 2:35 PM on September 28, 2011

Thank you for all the replies. That is totally sucky. I suppose that's why many folks avoid it.
posted by Glinn at 3:12 PM on September 28, 2011

« Older Password help please. How can...   |  Looking for experiences with S... Newer »