No Cloud Sync Please for Notes App

Looking for iphone/ipod touch notes app with NO cloud sync.

I guess I might be 1 of 3 people on earth trying to avoid cloud sync, but I am looking for a way to sync simple text notes between my ipod touch and my macbook. Requirements:

- want wireless syncing over a private network BUT NOT via cloud or some 3rd party website (like dropbox). And I don't want to have to manually plug into my laptop either.
- i want to edit notes both through my device and on my laptop

I used to use a great app called Syncbook but it's been discontinued.

I have a pretty old ipod touch (2nd gen) Any suggestions? Thank you.
posted by The ____ of Justice to Technology (6 answers total)

Trunk Notes can sync notes over a network.
posted by Brent Parker at 12:39 AM on September 26, 2011

It might be overkill, but 1Password does local non-cloud sync and has functionality to handle free-text notes as well as all its other stuff like passwords, credit card numbers, and so on.
posted by impluvium at 2:03 AM on September 26, 2011

The built-in notes application will sync without the cloud, but currently requires a cable link and iTunes. This might change in ios5, which will move to wiFi sync... and maybe won't work on your 2nd gen iPod touch.

To accomplish what you want, you will have to run a synch server on your laptop. Maybe not so simple to configure.

One option might be to run a wiki server on your laptop, which you edit from the iPad. You won't get offline editing, though.
posted by FrereKhan at 5:14 AM on September 26, 2011

I use Shovebox for this.
posted by transient at 11:09 AM on September 26, 2011

Odds are the built-in Notes app will automatically sync via wi-fi when charging on the same wi-fi network as your MacBook once iOS 5 hits in a couple weeks. That'll probably work fine for you then, at least if you ever upgrade to an iOS device that runs 5.0 (which I just now notice may be an issue).
posted by DoctorFedora at 7:55 PM on September 26, 2011

Thanks for the answers everyone! I guess I'll be checking out iOS 5 and then these other apps if the new OS doesn't have this feature!
posted by The ____ of Justice at 11:43 AM on September 30, 2011

« Older I love the idea of Team in Tra...   |  hip hop fans -- looking for a ... Newer »