Upload/convert MSAccess to MySQL using PHP

What's the best way to upload an Access DB using PHP and read its contents into MySQL?
posted by monkey closet to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Are you looking to automate this process, or to do it just one time?
posted by schmod at 7:00 AM on September 22, 2011

Just one time.

Well, I'll have to repeat a few times, but it'll happen when I say...
posted by monkey closet at 7:03 AM on September 22, 2011

If you are just trying to get the structures and data into MySQL, and there aren't too many tables involved, set up an ODBC link to your MySQL db and then Export each table (right mouse click on the table in Access to see the option) one by one. I'm not sure how PHP comes into it or is you are trying to export other Access objects. But that technique will get your data over.
posted by okbye at 8:32 AM on September 22, 2011

For a one time operation I would do the following:

1) Export from access into Excel
2) Save the excel as tab delimitted
3) Create a table in mysql with the same columns (actually, use this as a chance to fix any data organization issues, if you can)
4) Use phpMyAdmin to import as a CSV file with tabs as the delimitter

As far as reading the data via PHP, that is a bit too broad to really answer because it entirely depends on how you want to interact with the data.
posted by dgran at 9:00 AM on September 22, 2011

Pretty sure you can skip the Excel step -- Access can go straight to CSV.
posted by schmod at 9:02 AM on September 22, 2011

This freeware application does this.
posted by wannalol at 11:12 AM on September 22, 2011

« Older I'm looking for the best wirel...   |  I improved a website for a bus... Newer »