Can you id this object?

What is this object?

My neighbour found this...thing and asked me what it was, but I've been unable to identify it.
Here are a couple pictures of said object.

It has a working AM/FM radio. The radio has no output, just built-in speakers. It also has a general label posted on the top (where the pole is coming out) that primarily warns against electrical shock. The label suggests it would be used with a lighting fixture of some sort, as it addresses attaching a lighting fixture to the pole.
I can answer any questions that might help.
posted by EsotericAlgorithm to Technology (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I'm only guessing, but might it be a head for a speaker? Does it have an output in the back?
posted by Gilbert at 2:21 PM on September 9, 2011

No it doesn't. It has an input however which looks to be standard 3.5mm audio jack.
posted by EsotericAlgorithm at 2:27 PM on September 9, 2011

A large, portable, homemade ham radio with a long antenna, probably made in the 1970s.
posted by xenophile at 2:47 PM on September 9, 2011

It's definitely not a homemade device judging from all of the stickers that are on it. I doubt it was used for ham radio as the pole isn't an designed for an antennae but a light (according to the stickers). I suppose the device could hold someone's rig but the basic am/fm radio on it makes me thing otherwise.

Also I should mention the small wheels seem to suggest it would be used on a concrete floor, which made me think an autoshop. My neighbour thinks otherwise as he worked in an autoshop for several years.
posted by EsotericAlgorithm at 2:56 PM on September 9, 2011

Portable radio broadcast station, stripped of all of the equipment. The internal receiver is to check local signal interference. Notice the wheels? Portable. Post is for mounting antennas.
posted by yesster at 3:07 PM on September 9, 2011 [1 favorite]

Wow, I don't have any idea yet, and nothing in the thread so far sounds right.

Can we get a picture of the control panel?
posted by teatime at 6:42 PM on September 9, 2011

Years ago I saw a rig that looked somewhat like this used for testing a devices radio emissions. Just a guess.
posted by rdr at 11:32 PM on September 9, 2011

« Older What's the story behind this o...   |  (Mac-based) small business sof... Newer »