Ignoramus wants to learn how to fix a DSLR.

I want to learn how to personally repair a Canon 5D with an internal power problem. What resources should I look into in order develop this skill set? I do not care that this is silly, uneconomical idea. I am also well aware of the fact that developing this skill set will not be overnight.

I have a Canon 5D which no longer powers up. I have changed the date/time battery, I have used different batteries and battery grips on the camera, and I have changed lenses several times. To make a long story short, I believe that an improperly mounted lens has caused the internal power supply to short out.

Because I'm quixotic and curious, I'd like to learn how to fix this myself. I've always had an interest in gadgets, repairs, and kludges; this seems as good an opportunity as any to learn some useful skills. I know that I am coming into this project in the full bloom of ignorance, and I fully accept the risk of breaking the camera further and/or wasting my time.

I have a parts catalog and a service manual for the 5D. The service manual is very helpful, although of course it is targeted towards people who actually have some idea of what they're doing.

Has anyone had any experience with a project like this? Are you, yourself, a camera repair person? Tell me what to learn! What books, websites, and best value tools would I need to make the project of fixing this camera successful?
posted by Sticherbeast to Technology (2 answers total)

Well, surface mount soldering and basic electronics are certainly a part of the skillset.

I imagine that some of the parts involved in a digital camera would be REALLY tiny. However, swapping out sub-boards could be entirely feasible given some soldering practice and a reasonable minimum of tools.

Here are some wonderful tutorial videos on soldering: Tangent Tutorialshttp://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/

Then regarding electronics in general, I'd start with the simpler analog electronic builds. Maybe work on an Arduino, or build something simple and audio-related. The CMoy headphone amp is the perfect introduction to electronics: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/ You'll learn soldering and basic things about power supplies.
posted by krilli at 11:18 AM on September 5, 2011

(Forgot to explicitly mention: Surface-mount soldering is actually very easy with the right method. (If the parts aren't SUPER tiny, and/or inherently difficult to solder, like modern chips which have the legs *underneath* the chip.))
posted by krilli at 11:19 AM on September 5, 2011

« Older I got bashed in the face yeste...   |  Can you calculate the electric... Newer »