Who said "It's better to be Irish in America than it is to be Irish in England"?

Hi Folks, Does anyone know who may have said (something along the lines of) "Being Irish in England is a bit of a disadvantage. But, in America it is a bit of an advantage."?

Unfortunately, the only other information I have to go on is that the person who said it in an Irish National who became the head of a major American (or American subsidiary) company in the past 20 years or so. It was suggested that the person was Tony O'Reilly, head of Heinz at some point, but I have not been able to confirm that.

Anyone have any ideas?

posted by coollibrarian to Society & Culture (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Hmm, could it be from Hugh Heinrick's A Survey of Irish in England from 1872? I didn't see a quote with those exact words, but there are a few sentences that pretty much say that. Here's the Google Books result with the search term "America" highlighted. Look at page 1 in this result list.

Here's one relevant snippet: "In the United States of America we have an Irish nation more powerful than that which exists in the cradle of our race." A sentence or two later he contrasts that with England.
posted by bluedaisy at 7:34 PM on September 3, 2011

Oops, I posted that before I read the inside info. So it's much more recent than I thought...

Could it be from this 1998 PBS documentary "The Irish in America"? Stories are told by famous Irish-Americans, including Roy Disney.

Here's a list of some famous Irish-American business people.

And here's the Irish American Museum of DC website in case that helps.
posted by bluedaisy at 7:46 PM on September 3, 2011

Can't help much with the quote, but as an American living in London in the late 1980s and hanging around with a bunch of Irish, this was a pretty common theme that was oft repeated.
posted by HeyAllie at 9:18 PM on September 3, 2011

I have to say now in the naughties being Irish in the UK is a distinct advantage....YMMV
posted by Wilder at 10:09 AM on September 4, 2011

« Older How do I set boundaries with p...   |  Looking for a thin, easy-to-pa... Newer »