Help requested identifying a novel I read in the early 1990s involving Triads and illegal Chinese immigration.

Help requested identifying a novel I read in the early 1990s involving Triads and illegal Chinese immigration. There was an American who was tasked with transporting a Chinese illegal alien across parts of the western US in an automobile (car or pickup truck). I think his eventual destination was WA or OR, and parts of the story were in CA, in a sweatshop (I think). The Triads were involved. Any candidate titles or assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you Thank you Thank you.
posted by Ralph to Society & Culture (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

This one has multiple immigrants, but is it Yellowfish, by John Keeble?

Summary from Amazon: "Wesley Erks, itinerant machinist and adventurer, takes a hefty fee for smuggling a group of illegal Chinese immigrants ('yellowfish') from Vancouver, BC, to San Francisco in the 1970s. Three are teenaged 'Hong Kong boys', one of whom is dying from an earlier stab wound; the fourth is the son of a rich Chinese casino owner who wants to settle some debts with The Triad, a secret Chinese society. This title tells the story of the perilous and suspenseful journey of these five men, filled with colourful fictional and historical characters."

Looks like it was originally published in 1980.
posted by fussbudget at 3:40 PM on September 20, 2011

Yes, this has been resolved. The book is titled Yellowfish. Many thanks to fussbudget for taking the time to look for an answer. I very much appreciate it.
posted by Ralph at 9:05 PM on October 7, 2011

« Older Am I being scammed on Craigsli...   |  Do you know anything about Kaz... Newer »