I'm feeling a bit sheepish...

Which French (I think) folk dance did I do as an elementary schooler in Indiana in the late 90s? (Details inside.)

In elementary school in Indianapolis in the late 90s, my class learned about twenty different folk/popular dances from all over the world and then came together with hundreds of kids from all over the city/state and did them together. I remember the names of some of them (Pata Pata, Montego Bay, Virginia Reel, Colonel Sanders Mixer), but not the one that was our absolute favorite. I'm almost positive it was French, and I remember the dance involved linking pinkies in a circle. The song was relatively fast and one of its defining features was a sheep baa-ing throughout.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might have been, or at least what the song was?

Thanks in advance!
posted by naturalog to Society & Culture (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

"Sweet Girl" is a dance imported from Armenia where the line is formed like an open circle. Dancers link pinky fingers and hold their arms at shoulder height. The dance is slow and expressive, with repetitive steps that make it easy to dance.
posted by hal_c_on at 11:54 AM on August 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

I've googled around with this information, and I'm almost positive you're right! Now just to find the music we danced to. Thanks.
posted by naturalog at 12:01 PM on August 28, 2011

See also the An dro Breton folk danse.
posted by elgilito at 12:23 PM on August 28, 2011

This is almost certainly An Dro Retourneé, with the standard recording of Chang'rais tu Madaleine. (Sweet Girl is a fun dance too, but no sheep).
posted by nonane at 12:44 PM on August 28, 2011

YES. The actual right answer is nonane's. Thank you so much; my former classmates and I thank you.
posted by naturalog at 1:27 PM on August 28, 2011

Yay! I taught this dance at a workshop for college freshmen yesterday and it was one of their favorites too.
posted by nonane at 2:15 PM on August 28, 2011

« Older What makes for a good elementa...   |  Best source for art prints?... Newer »