Search by lyrics in Mac iTunes

Is there a program that will automatically add lyrics to my MP3 files, and/or let me search by lyric, in iTunes for Mac?

I know variations on this question have come up in AskMe before, but the most recent discussion seems to be from 2007, and I'm wondering what the best current options are...
posted by yankeefog to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Oh, and I should add: I'd like something that will add lyrics to my entire library, not just the currently playing song.
posted by yankeefog at 3:21 AM on August 26, 2011

SongGenie from Equinux.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 3:49 AM on August 26, 2011

Jaikoz is a non-free but worth investigating tool for batch fixing your music collection. In the current version it can also be set to get lyrics.
posted by rongorongo at 4:08 AM on August 26, 2011

Get Lyrical works reasonably well for me, and will grab lyrics for the currently playing track, a selection of tracks, or via what they call "Active Tagging" (which gets & stores lyrics as each song is played). And it's free.
posted by Pinback at 5:24 AM on August 26, 2011 [1 favorite]

Oh, and Spotlight / Finder search will search within lyrics, at least in Leopard & Snow Leopard. There's also scripts for iTunes that claim to work (e.g.), but I've never used them.
posted by Pinback at 5:44 AM on August 26, 2011

Ugh; I cannot for the life of me find the app I used to use about three years ago that could auto-add lyrics for your entire library but could also do search and replace (even using regular expressions!) so you could clean them up (say, strip advertising or HTML tags). But I know such a beastie exists, even if I can't guarantee it works on Lion.
posted by kimota at 5:56 AM on August 26, 2011

I use MPFreaker to fix my tags. It adds lyrics when it can find them in the databases it searches. $20 and works on Lion.
posted by immlass at 7:51 AM on August 26, 2011

Don't use EvilLyrics. It's almost impossible to delete.
posted by Lovecraft In Brooklyn at 2:36 AM on August 27, 2011

Thanks, all!
posted by yankeefog at 9:10 AM on August 29, 2011

« Older Which review sites you trust b...   |  "Halo is like, 8 million ... Newer »