Happy go lucky modern woo music

I need help finding happy go lucky modern indie/pop songs with a beat which are going on a mix cd to woo a girl of the female persuasion.

Currently, my songlist includes Alive with the Glory of Love by Say Anything, Brimful Of Asha by Cornershop, and Bohemian Like You by the Dandy Warhols. I'm looking for songs along this vein which are happy, fun, have a decent beat and you can dance around your room looking like an idiot to. And the semi-positive message is a plus. I know there are more songs out there but I'm use to angst rather than fun so what should I take a gander at to include on the disc?
posted by Stynxno to Media & Arts (94 answers total) 16 users marked this as a favorite

As opposed to a girl of the male persuasion?
posted by agregoli at 10:53 AM on June 2, 2005

Hesitating Beauty, Billy Bragg & Wilco
Eyes Like Sparks, Grandpaboy (aka Paul Westerberg)
I Will Dare, The Replacements
If I Can't Change Your Mind, Sugar

You really, really, really have to include I Will Dare.
posted by jodic at 10:58 AM on June 2, 2005

Gomez - "Whippin Piccadilly"
Spoon - "Sister Jack"
the Unicorns - "Sea Ghost"
Sloan - "Everything You've Done Wrong"
Hidden Cameras - "Ban Marriage"
The Bees - "Chicken Payback"
Wheat - "I Met a Girl"
Devin Davis - "Giant Spider"
Shout Out Louds - "The Comeback"
Modest Mouse - "Float On" (duh)
The Go! Team - "Bottle Rocket"

If you like any of these, let me know and I'll come up with some more.
posted by Marquis at 10:59 AM on June 2, 2005

What about "Such Great Heights" (The Postal Service?)

It's kind of boppy.
posted by selfnoise at 10:59 AM on June 2, 2005

agregoli, that was my thought too, but hey, you never know ...

Songs:
"The Monk At The Disco," Bobby Bare Jr.
"Murder Or A Heart Attack," The Old 97s
Things off Give Up by the Postal Service -- maybe "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" or "Such Great Heights" or "Clark Gable"? (on preview: hi, selfnoise!)
posted by librarina at 11:00 AM on June 2, 2005

"Washington, D.C." by the Magnetic Fields.

"The Pop Singer's Fear of the Pollen Count," by the Divine Comedy.
(this one's about allergies, not love -- is that OK? I promise you can't listen to it without dancing around)
posted by escabeche at 11:01 AM on June 2, 2005

Away with the Pixes - Ben Lee
posted by stupidsexyFlanders at 11:02 AM on June 2, 2005

Check out The New Pornographers, A.C. Newman (New Porns Frontman). Maybe throw in some old ska or reggae to mix it up a bit or a perhaps a bit of Ramones or Elvis Costello maybe?.

Oh, some Sloan might be fun too (ok - I'll quit with the Canadian bands). Le Tigre maybe? Brendan Benson? The Go! Team? The 5678s?

I'm sure someone will recommend The Postal Service, but not me.
posted by helvetica at 11:04 AM on June 2, 2005

"Roy Walker" by Belle and Sebastian from Dear Catastrophe Waitress.
posted by monkeyman at 11:04 AM on June 2, 2005

"Misinformed" by Soul Coughing gets even my white-boy booty shakin'. Also worth a shot: I'll post more if I think of them.
posted by Johnny Assay at 11:07 AM on June 2, 2005

For the second time today on AxMe, I'm going to recommend "Web in Front" by The Archers of Loaf. I'd also add "Prog" by Pinback, "I am in the World" by Erectus Monotone, "Fader In/Out" by Proudentall, and "Bridesmaid Blues" by Polvo.
posted by saladin at 11:09 AM on June 2, 2005

"Molly's Chambers" - Kings of Leon

works for those kids in the Volkswagen commercial...
posted by OneOliveShort at 11:12 AM on June 2, 2005

Anything from Of Montreal's new album The Sunlandic Twins - Track 3: Warith Pinned To The Mist (and other games) in particular. Mmmmm!
posted by nitsuj at 11:14 AM on June 2, 2005

Seconding New Pornographers, plus everything ever recorded by the Shins.
posted by jjg at 11:14 AM on June 2, 2005

"Wake Up" The Arcade Fire
"3rd Planet" Modest Mouse
"Small Stakes" Spoon
"Car" Built to Spill
"Center of the Universe" Built to Spill
posted by farishta at 11:14 AM on June 2, 2005

i am making one of these right now too!

good luck to both of us!

!!!

anti western - camera obscura
any songs from their EP, "Unreleased" - La Pieta
shy - olympic hopefuls
portions for foxes - rilo kiley
she's an angel - tmbg
alive with pleasure - viva voce
posted by lotsofno at 11:18 AM on June 2, 2005

Hey. One of my best friends is one of those. Serously.

Other songs you might consider:

Stereophonics: Dakota
VHS or Beta: Night on Fire
Ben Folds: Kate
Jet: Are You Gonna Be My Girl?

Not all of those are dancy, I suppose. Others that pop to mind include:

A-Teens: Take a Chance on Me (or maybe Lay All Your Love on Me)
Kylie: Can't Get You Outta My Head
Suzanne Smith: Closer
Fatboy Slim: Praise You
Scissor Sisters: Take Your Mama Out (heh)

But they're not really what you're looking for, either.
posted by jdroth at 11:19 AM on June 2, 2005

Thirding New Pornographers, esp. "Letter from an Occupant" and "The Slow Descent into Alcoholism." For Belle and Sebastian, I'd take "Stay Loose" from _Dear Catastrophe Waitress_. And in a somewhat more rawk vein I should add Kleenex Girl Wonder, "Tendency Right Foot Forward."
posted by escabeche at 11:21 AM on June 2, 2005

I'm a girl of the female persuasion (except when eating anything with barbecue sauce) ... and here's my happy list:

Belle and Sebastian - Stars of Track and Field
The Decemberists - Billy Liar
Olympic Hopefuls - Let's Go
The Magnetic Fields - Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side
Sebadoh - On Fire
posted by hamster at 11:26 AM on June 2, 2005

nitsuj: Ugh. Of Montreal's new album sucks. They might as well be a bad cover band of Modern English or Flock of Seagulls. Their "The Bedside Drama: A Petite Tragedy" and "Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies: A Variety of Whimsical Verse" are actually okeh, but IMO, the various side projects are much better. The Marshmallow Coast is great.

Also anything by The Apples In Stereo should be good. Check out The Late B.P. Helium, too.
posted by ijoshua at 11:27 AM on June 2, 2005

Check out Poptopia!: Power Pop Classics Of The '90's
posted by Otis at 11:33 AM on June 2, 2005

Since When and Casual Viewin' are a fine one-two punch from 54.40.
posted by danwalker at 11:39 AM on June 2, 2005

White Stripes, Fell in Love with a Girl
Anything by the Fastbacks
posted by matildaben at 11:40 AM on June 2, 2005

[is hopeless with those types of songs, but wishes stynxno good luck]
posted by JanetLand at 11:42 AM on June 2, 2005

"I Was On The Moon" by Apollo Sunshine
"Love Cats" by The Cure
"Hey Man (Now You're Reallly Living)" by Eels
"Def.Con.One" by Pop Will Eat Itself

I second The Unicorns, for they are awesome.
posted by Sticherbeast at 11:43 AM on June 2, 2005

Mint Royale - Don't falter
Ooberman - Blossoms falling
Saint Etienne - Soft like me
posted by BobInce at 11:43 AM on June 2, 2005

El Salvador or You Got The Style from Athlete's first album "Vehicles and Animals". Or both! Hell, just buy her the album.
posted by Lotto at 11:44 AM on June 2, 2005

The Eels "Hey Man (Now You're Really Living)" is, possibly, the happiest-go-luckiest song I know. I loves it.

Gomez - "Waster"
Gorillaz - "19-2000 (Soulchild Remix)"
Scissor Sisters - "Take Your Mama"
Stars - "Elevator Love Letter"
Sunscreem - "Love U More" (oldie but goodie)
Wes Cunningham - "So It Goes"
The Decemberists - "The Sporting Life"; "Sixteen Military Wives"
The Postal Service - "Such Great Heights" definitely
posted by papercake at 11:44 AM on June 2, 2005

Man, a buncha people here don't want you to get laid at all.
Now, I got a coupla questions to ask: How cool is this girl? How cool are you? How cool is your record collection?
I mean, not to impugn you or anything, but if there's a mismatch on the cool factors, it'll end up either being a reason to ditch you (not cool enough) or intimidating and never listened to (too cool for her).
Also, how far afield do you wanna go? I'm a firm believer in the powers of power pop, but I also realize that true mix ninjas can work from more than just one genre (modern indie pop? Do you really want everything to sound the same?)

So here are some guidelines: Try to balance the cheese with sincerity, and since it seems like it's early in the relationship, lay offa the overly sincere shit. I mean, I love Yo La Tengo, but you don't want to put on something like Pablo and Andrea. Sounds good, but hearing about eternal love or whatever is a bit much. But too cheesy, and she'll think you're a moron.
You also gotta stay offa misogyny, no matter how cool the song. So, unfortunately, a lot of Quintron is out.
But here's some songs that fucking kill (and that you should probably get anyway), helpfully divided into ones that help you earn Indie Cred and ones that help you spend it—
Earners:
False Alarm- Yo La Tengo
Swing Low- The Gossip
Bad Seeds- Beat Happening
Fan- Majesty Crush
Night Life- Adult.
Memorial Day- Je Suis France
9-4-9 - Quintron
Three Girl Rhumba- Wire
Cedar Point '79- Dirtbombs
I'm A Ghost- Ted Leo
Alex Chilton- The Replacements
Ladder- Saturday Looks Good To Me
Puerto Rico Way- 6ths
Verstärker- Blumfeld
Shotgun Cain- Dabenport
Underwear- Magnetic Fields
Spenders:
Flowers of Guatemala- REM
Jerk it Out- The Caesers
USA Capable- Menthol
Legal Matter- The Who
Black Girls- Violent Femmes
Nehalem- Everclear
Doves Cry- Prince

It's important to put something like Prince on there to show that you're not out of touch with the mainstream, yet still can sense quality. Also, Prince has been clinically proven to get people laid.
If you want more, lemme know. I've tried to limit myself to things that you're likely to have, but I can go pretty far afield too. The recommendations for Spoon above were pretty good (though you want to go with Fitted Shirt), and Sloan (where you want pretty much anything off of One Chord to Another).
Since I've already won over a girl with my awesome mixtapes, my skills have been pleading for an outlet. Please let me help you get laid too. (Though, to be perfectly fair, the girl makes better tapes than I do, and that won me over).
posted by klangklangston at 11:49 AM on June 2, 2005 [1 favorite]

You know, for a time there back in the early nineties, it was actually illegal to make a mixtape if it did not include "Grey Cell Green" by Ned's Atomic Dustbin. This is an actual fact. I don't know if its still on the books or not, but I'd err on the side of caution on this one.
posted by indiebass at 11:51 AM on June 2, 2005

Indiebass: Yeah, that was overturned on appeal, due to the fact that Ned's sucks. You might as well put Big Head Todd and the Monsters on there.
posted by klangklangston at 11:54 AM on June 2, 2005

The Lucksmiths, Shine on Me.
Hawksley Workman, I'm Jealous of Your Cigarette
Tracy Ullman, They Don't Know
and the happiest song ever sung,
ELO, Mr. Blue Sky

How I do love being wooed via mix. Go get her!
posted by melissa may at 11:55 AM on June 2, 2005

Get me away from here I'm dying, by Belle and Sebastian (I see I'm not the only one to recommend them, which is funny because I usually think of them as being...not so happy-go-lucky). For the catchy tune rather than the name.

Slow hands by Interpol.

Volcano Girls by Veruca Salt.
posted by gaspode at 11:57 AM on June 2, 2005

my only two suggestions are:

"way you walk," by the papas fritas. such a beautiful duet...
"balloon," by imperial teen.
posted by Ziggy Zaga at 12:06 PM on June 2, 2005

just give her a copy of The Lemonheads "Its a Shame about Ray" thats all you need...

and julianna's voice makes me swoon....
posted by ShawnString at 12:11 PM on June 2, 2005

You might want to skip Letter To An Occupant by the New Pornographers. It's one of my favorite songs of all times, but it's about a nasty breakup, so if your ladyfriend is a lyrics person it might send mixed messages.
posted by electroboy at 12:12 PM on June 2, 2005

Fools Garden - Lemon Tree
posted by darsh at 12:18 PM on June 2, 2005

End it with this. It's only 2 minutes.
posted by blag at 12:18 PM on June 2, 2005

Also, try Josie and Chloe by Call and Response. No lyrics to muck things up, upbeat, yet mellow.
posted by electroboy at 12:19 PM on June 2, 2005

gaspode writes "Get me away from here I'm dying, by Belle and Sebastian"
I think this song is the antithesis of what the poster wants...I personally think that it fits better in a breakup/leaving town CD than in a "Hey hottie, like my kewl tunes?" CD, but YMMV.

Ladyflash or Huddle Formation -- Go! Team
Girl U Want -- Devo

My now ex liked Absolutely Cuckoo by the Magnetic Fields when i made her a mix tape before i moved in...she didn't heed the warning. ;)

"don't fall in love with me yet
we only recently met
true i'm in love with you but
you might decide i'm a nut
give me a week or two to
go absolutely cuckoo
and when you see your error
then you can flee in terror
like everybody else does
i only tell you this 'cause
i'm easy to get rid of
but not if you fall in love
know now that i'm on the make
and if you make a mistake
my heart wil certainly break
i'll have to jump in a lake
and all my friends will blame you
there's no telling what they'll do
it's only fair to tell you
i'm absolutely cuckoo"
posted by schyler523 at 12:20 PM on June 2, 2005

I'm not sure how such a concept could be complete without Stinky standing in a trench coat holding a jam box over his head while Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" is blaring.
posted by dios at 12:27 PM on June 2, 2005

Seriously, dude, go with klangklangston's suggestions. They're the most spot on. Mr. Blue Sky is seconded. Here are a couple more before I gotta skeedaddle:

Blue, Blue Bones / Vells
New Slang / The Shins
California All the Way / Luna
posted by billysumday at 12:29 PM on June 2, 2005

klangklangston writes 'Yeah, that was overturned on appeal, due to the fact that Ned's sucks. You might as well put Big Head Todd and the Monsters on there.'

HELL YES you should have Big Head Todd on there too. Man, i don't want any AskMe's hating on the early ninties. Now where's my Son Volt...?
posted by indiebass at 12:30 PM on June 2, 2005

Papercake: are you single? Because with suggestions like that, you shouldn't be. (Eels and Wes Cunningham?! Wow.)

I second the Prince suggestion, but would use Kiss. She's An Angel from TMBG is a great one. Nothing from Rilo Kiley...I don't think Jenny Lewis is capable of being happy-go-lucky. Jolene, by Cake would be good. I would also throw in the cover of I Belive by Petra Haden and Bill Frisell as well as Fake palindromes by Andrew Bird.

Good luck.
posted by amandaudoff at 12:32 PM on June 2, 2005

I just have to say I love these threads. If it hasn't already been mentioned, I would recommend Ani DiFranco's version of 32 Flavors.
posted by odinsdream at 12:35 PM on June 2, 2005

Counting Crows, "Accidentally in Love" (from the Shrek 2 soundtrack)
Katrina and the Waves, "Walking on Sunshine"
The Beautiful South, "Song for Whoever"
The Replacements, "Kiss Me on the Bus"
Sixpence None the Richer, "Kiss Me"
Michael Buble, "Fever"
posted by kirkaracha at 12:38 PM on June 2, 2005

Move Your Feet, Junior Senior;
Güero Canelo, Calexico;
Underwater Love, Smoke City:
Join Our Club, Saint Etienne.
And Prince, yes, Alphabet St. would be good too.
posted by misteraitch at 12:48 PM on June 2, 2005

If I was going for Belle and Sebastian, I'd go for Me and the Major.
Other ones to look at:
Superdrag- Sugar
Pavement- Stereo
Guided By Voices- I am a Scientist
Solex- That's What you get With People Like That on Cruises Like These
Tuscadero- Heat Lightning
Papas Fritas- Alaska
Tsarina- Boy's on Drugs Again
Sonic Youth- Sugar Kane
(Pavement, GBV, Sonic Youth and Solex are all spenders, the others are earners).

OP: Yeah, Alphabet St. might even be a better pick.
posted by klangklangston at 12:49 PM on June 2, 2005

all of the following have ether wooed me, or been used in the service of my wooing another (caveat: list is heavy on '80s/'90s indie pop):

"As I Am" - Crowded House
"Slackjawed" - The Connells
"At First Sight" - The Stems (hard to find!)
"There She Goes" - The La's (warning: may actually be about heroin, but that's a minor quibble)
"Tonight We Fly" - The Divine Comedy (I fell into a whole new level of love with my previous boyfriend when he put this on a tape for me -- seriously, I would have followed him to the ends of the earth over this song)
"Pure" - The Lightning Seeds
"It Must Be Love" - Madness
"Speak Like a Child" - The Style Council
"Sha La La La Lee" - The Small Faces
"September Gurls" - Big Star
"A New England" - Billy Bragg
"Elephant Stone" - The Stone Roses

More to follow, surely, as I ponder a life of the close intertwining of relationships and music...
posted by scody at 12:50 PM on June 2, 2005

Anything by The Shins, A. C. Freeman or Of Montreal. (The latest Montreal album is seriously light and happy.)
posted by gentle at 12:50 PM on June 2, 2005

The Lucksmiths - really anything - all v. clever fun pop songs.
Throw in a little Jonathan Richman/Modern Lovers - Ice Cream Man if she's silly - Radio On/Roadrunner if she more rockin.
The Sprites - mildly obscure but some great fun songs.
I'll third or some such - Spoon and Belle and Sebasitan, The Shins, built to spill and arcade fire - on preview - adding another vote for Junion Senior.
Breeders - Cannonball or maybe even Driving on 9 if you need to take it down a notch since everyone is going old school.
For this kind of mix - Mr. Blue Sky -ELO and Driving in My Car - Geggy Tah are must haves. Car commercials - I know - but great songs in their own right before they were commandeered.

Good luck
posted by Wolfie at 12:52 PM on June 2, 2005

Ooh, off of the "Drivin' on 9" tip: Go to Ed's Redeeming Qualities with "I Will Wait." Goofy tune, but worthwhile.
I might also toss in Caribou by the Pixies (I'd love to put in something like #13, but that might run afoul of the "no misogyny" rule, dependent upon the chick, and it's better to be safe than sorry.)
Also, all the people saying Of Montreal are wrong. Sorry. Elephant 6? You want "Seems So" by Apples In Stereo off of Tone Soul Evolution. Unless, maybe, you go with Miniature Philosopher, by Of Montreal. But really, you'd rather have Seems So.
If you've got cred to spare, consider some Weezer. I like El Scorcho myself, but anything upbeat off of Pinkertons will work.
If you're looking for classics, you may want to look at The Cars (their first album had nine singles. Nine fucking singles. Can you imagine?), or T. Rex. Jeepster works in almost all mixes.
There's also Versus, who did a great track called Shooting Star, and there's Luna's Rollercoaster to follow that up.
Man, we've practically made your mix for you.
posted by klangklangston at 1:04 PM on June 2, 2005

Stand Up, British Sea Power. Has the added frisson of recently having had the video banned by MTV due to the use of a lyrical phrase containing the words 'wetter' and 'excitement' (don't get me started).
XTC, Senses Working Overtime
My Morning Jacket's I Will Sing you Songs isn't upbeat, but it's beeyootiful.
And another vote for The Decemberists, but I'd go with Song for Myla Goldberg, just because it's so darn happy.

... and I just realized that the rest of my iTunes library, hundreds and hundreds of megabytes of music files, is filled to the brim with songs that have titles like "My Neighbour's Having a Seizure". Maybe I should lighten up a bit.
posted by jokeefe at 1:06 PM on June 2, 2005

"Molly's Chambers" - Kings of Leon
posted by OneOliveShort at 11:12 AM PST on June 2 [!]

This thread rocks if for no other reason than it turned up this song for me. That commecial is awesome. And I love the song.
posted by jdroth at 1:08 PM on June 2, 2005

klangklangston; What's a spender and what's an earner?

Also, if you're gonna go for a Pixies song, pick Debaser.
posted by helvetica at 1:19 PM on June 2, 2005

Wake Up - Boo Radleys
posted by benzo8 at 1:31 PM on June 2, 2005

gentle, you mean A.C. Newman. Unless there's an A.C. Freeman I've never heard of.
posted by matildaben at 1:44 PM on June 2, 2005

Helvetica: Slicin' up eyeballs? Nah. If you've gotta go for something from Doolittle, go for Here Comes My Man or Hey. But you don't, so you can put on something from Surfer Rosa (their best album).
An earner is a song that they're likely to have not heard before, or if they have, that they can appreciate the thought behind. It earns you "indie cred." It might be easier to explain spenders. Just think of a Jock Jams compilation: those are all spenders, with no earners on there. There's no balance. The perfect mix ends up at equillibrium by spending and earning so that the net is zero. That way, you can put something like The Silver Apples "Ruby" on right before ELO's "Confusion," for a net cred of zero. (And they work pretty well together, if I do say so myself).
Part of the fun of mixes is trying to figure out what songs will be guilty pleasures and which songs will be enjoyed without reservation by whomever it's given to.

Matilda: He means Thunderclap Newman, greatest band by one of the Who's siblings ever.
posted by klangklangston at 1:50 PM on June 2, 2005

The Delgados do a great clangy version of Mr. Blue Sky, if the original is too obvious for you. I think it was during a Peel Session, but I found a mp3 thru the usual channels.

Also, don't underestimate the power of a couple non-songs to move a mix along. For example, I have a 15 second clip of Brittney Spears doing the Herbal Essences song. Kills every time.
posted by samh23 at 1:53 PM on June 2, 2005

I made one of these a while ago

obligatory list

Wrens - Rest Your Head
Neutral Milk Hotel - King Of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1
White Stripes - We're Going To Be Friends
The Shins - We Will Become Silhouettes (Gets your shins AND your postal service covered)
Red House Painters - Have You Forgotten
Jon Brion - Here We Go
Iron & Wine - Jezebel
Jim Guthrie - The Evangelist
The Decemberists - The Soldering Life
Andrew Bird - Skin Is, My
Seu Jorge - Starman
Scissor Sisters - Laura

A quick note: Unless the girl really likes Indie pop, don't woo her with it. Use classic music, like Peter Gabriel, or Beatles. Indie music has a tendency to....scare people
posted by cyphill at 1:59 PM on June 2, 2005

klangklangston makes me laugh.
posted by terrapin at 2:01 PM on June 2, 2005

... and here's my happy list:

?

As far as suggestions go I have nothing to offer. I did hate that Petra Haden/Bill Frisell album, though.
posted by kenko at 2:05 PM on June 2, 2005

Put on Brak's "I Love Beans," from the Space Ghost album. Seriously, if she doesn't love that song, she's not worth it.
posted by UKnowForKids at 2:17 PM on June 2, 2005

klangklangston; Bah, you can't get too sappy. It'd be like drinking maple syrup out of the bottle. And you can dance around like an idiot to that song much better.

How abouts this, its a pretty fun mix I made a couple of weeks ago. Plus its good for dancing around like an idiot. (just don't look into the lyrics too much);
1. Get Ready - The Temptations
2. Hey Sailor - The Detroit Cobras
3. Chains of Love - The Dirtbombs
4. Road Runner #2 - Modern Lovers
5. Sweet Jane - The Velvet Underground
6. Let's Dance - Ramones (I was thinking 53rd and 3rd, but people might get the wrong impression)
7. The Good In Everyone - Sloan
8. Cold Hands (Warm Heart) - Brendan Benson
9. 35 In The Shade - AC Newman
10. Tropical Iceland - The Fiery Furnaces
11. Mass Romantic - The New Pornographers
12. Watermark - The Weakerthans
13. I Turn My Camera On - Spoon
14. Twilight - The Raveonettes
15. The Power Is On - The Go! Team
16. Let's Run - Le Tigre
17. Hey Ya! - The Blankket
18. Ghettochip Malfunction (Hell-Yes Remix) - Beck
19. Bingo - M.I.A.
20. Watching The Detectives - Elvis Costello
21. The Liquidator - Harry J. Allstars
22. You're Wondering Now - The Specials (Obligitory ending song)
posted by helvetica at 2:19 PM on June 2, 2005

Okay:

The Shins!
Ben Kwellern (earlier stuff is more happy-go-lucky)
Eisley (a little more laid back though...)
Guster - Careful, Amsterdam, Keep it Together, Diane, etc.

Someone said Veruca Salt earlier--a little 90's retro, but yeah, totally.

:)

Go get her, Tiger.
posted by mercurysm2 at 2:19 PM on June 2, 2005

Mint Car--the Cure, definitely

and some Pizzicato Five?
posted by amberglow at 2:52 PM on June 2, 2005

You need (bands):

The Shins
The Lucksmiths
A.C. Newman
Belle and Sebastian
Camera Obscura
Sondre Lerche
PAS/CAL
Rilo Kiley
Of Montreal
Broken Social Scene
Stars

Other possibilities:

The Decemberists
The Pixies
Nick Drake
Morrissey/The Smiths
Neutral Milk Hotel

You need to use some common sense though. Yes, you want The Shins, but you don't want New Slang. And personally, I think that including songs like Mr. Blue Sky, Such Great Heights, and Accidentally In Love (barf) would be lame, but maybe that's just me.
posted by ludwig_van at 3:11 PM on June 2, 2005

Helvetica- You're not from Detroit, but you're getting close with that mix. (I woulda taken White Light/White Heat over Sweet Jane)...

Hey, more happy songs-
Earners:
Flashing Lights- Flashing Lights
Pants and Anti-Pants- Liquid Plumber
Laser Eyes- El Guapo
Fist Fight- Danse Asshole
Rifle Through- The Waxwings

Spenders:
Feel Like Makin' Love- Badfinger
Girls On Film- Duran Duran
Gepetto- Belly
Song 2- Blur (Country Sad Ballad Man works too, but not really upbeat)
Common People- Pulp
posted by klangklangston at 3:19 PM on June 2, 2005 [1 favorite]

This list has some songs which may be less modern than the likes of Cornershop and Dandy Warhol, but it's all happy fun dancy pop with nice beats.

Pop Songs Your New Boyfriend's Too Stupid to Know About - Tullycraft
Ha Ha - Mates of State
Grass is Greener - The Judy's
July, July - The Decemberists
Herculean Bellboy - Young and Sexy
All For Swinging You Around - New Pornographers
Number Ones - Push Kings
The Jeep Song - Dresden Dolls
I'm a Vampire - Future Bible Heroes
My Heart and the Real World - Minutemen
posted by 23skidoo at 3:21 PM on June 2, 2005

Let me start by seconding anyone who mentioned the Lucksmiths; they make the ladies swoon. Personally, I'd go with Untidy Towns .
My own list:
Jenny Come On - Dressy Bessy
You're Just a Baby - Belle & Sebastian
Sick of Myself - Matthew Sweet (and shame on everyone else for not mentioning him yet)
Rollerskate - Call and Response (possibly the happiest-go-luckiest song ever)
When My Baby's Beside Me - Big Star (a lot of people will tell you to go with September Gurls. Now, September Gurls is a great song and nobody's disputing that, but for my money--and my dancing around my room like an idiot--there's no substitute for When My Baby's Beside Me)
This Charming Man - Stars (oh yeah, mix things up with an excellent cover of a classic song about--that's right--a charming man)
July Jones - New Pornographers
Strange Powers - Magnetic Fields
posted by willpie at 3:25 PM on June 2, 2005

Willpie: Do you really want a chorus of "Sick of myself when I look at you" on the mix? I mean, might as well go for Superdeformed.
No, what you want is "Girlfriend." I mean, that's the goal, isn't it?
posted by klangklangston at 3:33 PM on June 2, 2005

Except that the song is commonly interpreted as being about bi/homosexuality.

And I'm sorry for being such a party-pooper, but since no one else has said anything, I'd advise against using Brimful of Asha as well.
posted by ludwig_van at 3:39 PM on June 2, 2005

Pulp, huh? Interesting. Pulp strikes me as more of a hot, dirty (definitely dirty; in the best possible sense of the word) sex type thing than a wooing type thing, though I reckon I leaned a little too far to the cautiously chaste side in my own wooing days. In any case, I'd go with Razzamatazz.
Also, Hefner. Either The Greedy Ugly People or Painting and Kissing.
Also, in the Lucksmiths vein, Smokers In Love.
On preview: I considered Girlfriend, kk, but it seemed a smidge overt.
posted by willpie at 3:40 PM on June 2, 2005

You say that like it's a bad thing. Nothing gets the indie rock girls' attention better than a little ambiguous sexuality.
posted by willpie at 3:43 PM on June 2, 2005

klangklangston; Toronto is just up the highway (okay, 5 hours up the highway). My ex-gf / now good-friend is from windsor originally, so it's kind of rubbed off on me.
posted by helvetica at 3:45 PM on June 2, 2005

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Well, I wouldn't want someone to put it on a mix for a girl thinking they were saying "Yeah, I'm a charming man," and have the girl think it's about a guy's first gay experience. Of course, I think it's an excellent song. But Ask might be a better pick, for example.
posted by ludwig_van at 3:53 PM on June 2, 2005

To that point, don't any of you listen to the words to these songs? Half these songs belong in the eternally recurring "breakup music" thread.
posted by jjg at 4:02 PM on June 2, 2005

But Ask might be a better pick, for example.

Indeed, if we were talking about the original versions. Alas, there's not an excellent Stars cover of Ask, and any indie rock girl worth her salt already has the original. Though if it's a huge problem, one could always get the Stars count up by putting When? or My Radio (the AM mix, for god's sake) on the mix and being done with it.
posted by willpie at 4:55 PM on June 2, 2005

any indie rock girl worth her salt already has the original

Well, as I was trying to hint at in my previous posts, if we assume that the girl receiving this is "any indie rock girl worth her salt" then a good deal of these suggestions are liable to be big turnoffs. YMMV, I suppose.
posted by ludwig_van at 5:15 PM on June 2, 2005

"Could You Be The One" Husker Du
"Achin' To Be" The Replacements
"I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" The Ramones
posted by jonmc at 5:42 PM on June 2, 2005

The Cure "The Perfect Girl"
Spiritualized "I think I'm In Love"
Edwyn Collins "A Girl Like You"

maybe my definition of indie is a lil different.
posted by softlord at 6:41 PM on June 2, 2005

Man jodic, second post of the thread and you name 4 of my alltime favourite songs. Hell, Hesitating Beauty made me realize I was finally ready to have kids!
posted by Richat at 9:14 PM on June 2, 2005

A few suggeestions:

Autumn Sweater Yo La Tengo
Feelin' Good (Joe Clausell Mix) Nina Simone (from the Verve Remixed series)
Beng Beng Beng Femi Kuti (Caution! This is one of the most bootylicious, suggestive songs to come out in many years. But it will definitely get one's ass up and moving around a room)

You should end your mix with either:
Lets Settle Down (to Running Around Together) by Merle Travis
Its Such a Good Feeling (the goodbye song) By Fred Rogers

If she doesn't appreciate the perfection of both (or either) of these songs, she may not be, alas, the One
posted by Chrischris at 9:34 PM on June 2, 2005

Not surprised to see all the B&S recommendations here - they've long been a staple of any mix-tapes I've made. 'You're Just a Baby' would probably be my first choice, but there's plenty of alternatives on Tigermilk or Sinister.

The Delgados always work well too - 'Pull the Wires...' and 'Everything Goes Around the Water' spring to mind. (btw, Mr Blue Sky was a b-side on 'All You Need is Hate', I think)

'Sugarcube' by Yo La Tengo is another good one, but perhaps strays too close to 'obvious'.

BobInce already suggested 'Don't Falter' by Mint Royale, but that's certainly worthy of a second recommendation - might work well paired with Arab Strap's 'The First Big Weekend' since Don't Falter references a couple of the lines from it. Make sure to STAY WELL AWAY from every other Arab Strap track though!

Oh, and 'Apple Blossom' by the White Stripes is compulsory. Seriously.

One important thing to remember is to mix it up a bit though - a dozen saccharine-sweet tracks in a row would probably be overkill, and not every song needs to have some deeper message behind it. Good luck!
posted by anagrama at 8:08 AM on June 3, 2005

Steal My Sunshine, by Len. That's a very bouncy dancy song.
posted by angeline at 8:28 AM on June 3, 2005

"Apple of My Eye" - Ed Harcourt
"Put Your Arms Around Me" - Boo Radleys
posted by Jaybo at 8:52 AM on June 3, 2005

I'm sure you've got plenty of good suggestions by now, but reading the thread makes me think that you're going to have to find out whether she goes for lyrics or melody (or both? damn). I personally take notice of the latter, hence my suggestion way upthread of depressing song with catchy tune. Hey - when I was in college in the early 90s, my "pump me up get me happy" song pre-exams was Jeremy by Pearl Jam.
posted by gaspode at 8:52 AM on June 3, 2005

It seems like you want some happy sing-alongs, which not all of those above are, and yes this list is rife with breakup stuff too so do a lyric check.

so more spenders, which are both a little intense relationship-wise, but fun and eminently singable:

Space: Me and You vs. the World
Yo La Tengo: My Little Corner of the World

I second Steal My Sunshine, and I support you with the Cornershop man, that Letter's to Cleo's cover of "I want you to want me" and the La's earned coveted spots on my first mp3 player (i think it held like 20 songs??) which helped me bounce on the 6 train everyday for months.
posted by zenigmatic at 11:47 AM on June 3, 2005

You and Me and the Moon by The Magnetic Fields just came to mind. And I don't care who thinks it's too gay.
posted by willpie at 1:11 PM on June 3, 2005

If a guy who liked me made me a mix that included "Pure" by the Lightning Seeds, I would be putty in his hands. Seriously.

Other songs:

"Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand
"Falling For The First Time" - Barenaked Ladies
"Song For A Mix Tape" - The Ataris. That needs to lead it off. : )
"Kiss Me On The Bus" - The Replacements
"I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing" - Pet Shop Boys
"Need You Around" - Smoking Popes
posted by SisterHavana at 3:26 PM on June 3, 2005

Almost forgot:

"Like Dreamers Do" - The Radiators
"Teenage Kicks" - The Undertones
"Get Over You" - The Undertones
posted by SisterHavana at 3:38 PM on June 3, 2005

wow, this was great. thanks to everyone.

i finally settled on a playlist.

1) Wheat - I met a girl (i actually did meet this girl right before I broke up with an ex)
2) Bohemian Like You - Dandy Warhols
3) Sister Jack - Spoon
4) Bomboleo - Gypsy Kings
5) Apple Blossom - White Stripes
6) Need You Around - Smoking Popes
7) Brimful of Asha - Conershop
8) All For Swinging You Around - The New Pornographers
9) Hesitating Beauty - Billy Bragg and Wilco
10) My Little Corner of the World - Yo La Tengo
11) 27 Jennifers - Mike Doughty
12) Two Princes - Spin Doctors
13) Alive with the Glory of Love -Say Anything
14) Burrito - Pete Yorn
15) Mixed Bizness - Beck
16) Take me Out - Franz Ferdinand
17) Misfit - Elefant
18) I Know You Love Me - Smoking Popes

I'll mail this out monday and in two weeks I'll know how it went :) Thanks for everything peeps! And I have so much more music to get/listen to now....
posted by Stynxno at 10:02 PM on June 3, 2005 [1 favorite]

Oooh... I'm late (just got pointed here by #mefi) but New York by Luke Doucet seems to fit. Mefi's Elijah sent it on a mefiswap a few years ago and I still listen to it a few times a month.

Thanks Elijah!
posted by holloway at 10:24 PM on June 3, 2005

Oooh. Two Princes? You took a gamble with that one, mate. Hope it goes well...
posted by klangklangston at 10:01 AM on June 7, 2005

« Older I will be taking the GMAT on m...   |  My TV broke, and I am bored no... Newer »