Looking for the perfect LSAT watch.

I'm searching for the perfect LSAT watch. Does anyone know of a purely analog watch with vibrating alarm function and rotating bezel?

These are the features I'm looking for:

* Rotating Bezel with minutes marked out (like a diver's watch)
* 100% analog - Not my requirement, but LSAC's. Analog-Digital will not work.
* Vibrating alarm - definitely not a beeping alarm.
* Large watch face preferable
* Preferably for women
* Preferably under $100, definitely under $200
* Preferably not ugly (I'll leave that judgment up to you)

I know plenty of people have done well on the LSATs without a fancy watch, but it's an added security measure I'd like to have. Thus far, I've been using a standard watch and setting it to 11:25. It works, but the button to set the time occasionally slips as I'm starting a section so I have to reset it. Every second counts.

I've taken a look at the LSAT watch, but same issue with the time setting. This is why I'm looking for a rotating bezel--I believe it'll take a little less time.

I'm open to other suggestions from people who have taken the LSAT before. Help!
posted by melancholyplay to Technology (13 answers total)

I'm thinking: Outta luck, thanks for playing our game. Vacating (that's a legal term, right?) your alarm requirements you are still looking at a watch with a Swiss movement and no alarm costing $600 used on eBay. Maybe you could Rube Goldberg something with a custom made hour glass sitting at an angle on a small analog scale rigged to something akin to the 60's board game mouse trap?
posted by Rafaelloello at 9:50 PM on August 24, 2011

Well, I've found plenty of analog watches with a large face and rotating bezel for $20-50 on amazon. I've also found a vibrating alarm clock for $50 and a rotating bezel, but the bezel marks out compass directions instead of minutes. I could always mark out the minutes myself, but I'm hoping that someone miraculously knows of a watch that already comes with my top-priority requirements.
posted by melancholyplay at 9:56 PM on August 24, 2011

Are you sure that a vibrating alarm is allowed?
posted by J. Wilson at 10:03 PM on August 24, 2011

Did someone from LSAC tell you that a vibrating alarm was allowed? According to the LSAC website, "alarm watches" are among the prohibited items, so I would be surprised if they'd let you have a vibrating alarm. If it's prohibited, they'd either take it from you in advance, or if they didn't notice it until later (and they'd likely notice it when you were using it, because I've never seen a vibrating alarm that made zero noise), you'd get a misconduct irregularity on your score. I wouldn't risk it.
posted by decathecting at 10:13 PM on August 24, 2011 [1 favorite]

When I was studying for the LSAT, I just used a digital egg timer with the ability to set 3 different countdowns. Cost me $10 at Target.
posted by reenum at 10:14 PM on August 24, 2011

Oh no!! I can't believe I didn't notice that. Thank you for pointing that out.

For future LSAT takers looking for the perfect watch, I think rotating bezel watches with 5-minute markers are your best bet.
posted by melancholyplay at 10:17 PM on August 24, 2011

Is the analog requirement new? I used a digital stopwatch when I took the LSAT. I opened it up and physically disconnected the speaker so it wouldn't beep. They didn't have any problem with it, and IIRC it cost me less than $10.
posted by sharding at 10:56 PM on August 24, 2011 [1 favorite]

I'm wondering the same thing as sharding. When I took the test, I used a digital kitchen timer with the alarm disabled, an easy fix using a piece of tape. It counted up or down (I preferred down) and cost no more than $10.
posted by keep it under cover at 10:59 PM on August 24, 2011

Yes, the analog only requirement is new in the last few years.
posted by decathecting at 11:32 PM on August 24, 2011

When I was studying for the LSAT two years ago, my perfect LSAT watch (analog, rotating bezel with individual minute marks) came from a thrift store.
posted by Handstand Devil at 8:12 AM on August 25, 2011

I used the Silent Timer and continued to use it for exams during law school.
posted by Dr. Zira at 9:45 AM on August 25, 2011

Sorry, disregard my link above; my LSAT was in 2005, which would have been prior to this new analog requirement.
posted by Dr. Zira at 9:52 AM on August 25, 2011

The other thing you could do with an analog watch is just set it to the top of the hour at the start of each section; that will make it much easier for you to quickly see how much time you've got left.
posted by Dr. Zira at 1:58 PM on August 27, 2011

« Older What's the best venue to submi...   |  Perfect beach getaway for a co... Newer »