Time to move my .oz of AU

Best place to sell an ounce of gold in Portland, OR?

Many years ago I bought an ounce of gold on a whim. I think gold is at something like $1900/oz right now -- so it's time to sell it off.

So: where to sell it? Dodgy pawn-like 'we buy gold' place, or private buyer? I'm in Portland, OR, USA, but am open to whatever is out there (broker? online sales? etc.) as long as somebody has some good suggestions/commentary on how to maximize the profit out of this lump of shiny AU goodness ...
posted by bhance to Work & Money (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Ebay.

Not the mall.

Maybe even craigslist...but you'd have to not put yourself in an unsafe situation.

Good luck...and YES, they ALL are trying to scam you.
posted by hal_c_on at 9:19 PM on August 22, 2011

Yeah, ebay. You might not get the market price for an ounce, but you'll certainly get more than you would from those scammy "we buy gold" places. Especially if you have a pure .999 24k bar. Check the listings on eBay for "gold bullion ounce" and tailor your listing accordingly. Be prepared to hand over a good chunk of your proceeds to eBay, however.

I'd be paranoid to sell on craigslist, myself.
posted by Horselover Phattie at 10:17 PM on August 22, 2011

why not hold? we're still under inflation adjusted highs from the 70s. look for instability in the middle east this fall to drive prices higher - until then.. coffee can. back yard.
posted by specialk420 at 10:25 PM on August 22, 2011

Gold is more expensive than platinum right now. I can't imagine it going much higher.
posted by empath at 10:45 PM on August 22, 2011

Short gold and oil. The middle east just got the stability. Syria's not a big oil country and the instability is going to go. All the people listening to Glenn Beck are driving up prices on gold. I'd sell ASAP.

Try this google search for "bullion portland"

http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-rim&hl=en&q=bullion%20portland&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&channel=browser
posted by Ironmouth at 10:58 PM on August 22, 2011

Affordable Jewelry and Precious Metals buys and sells gold bouillon at market plus/minus a small percent. AJPM lists their current buy/sell prices, and I believe they carry a decent reputation as being a gold dealer. They've got three locations, one downtown and two in the burbs.
posted by Mister Fabulous at 11:02 PM on August 22, 2011

I can't say for sure about the States, but here in Canada at least some banks buy and sell gold and sterling -- wafers/bars, not old bits of broken jewellery.

This page seems to list at least a handful of banks. It may be worth your time calling them and comparing the prices/process with the place you've marked above as a best answer.
posted by sardonyx at 6:45 AM on August 23, 2011

Your local coin shop.
posted by Rash at 7:14 AM on August 23, 2011

...or the next coin show -- Googling "Portland Numismatic", I see you've got one coming up in October.
posted by Rash at 7:26 AM on August 23, 2011

While most jewelry stores don't advertise it a lot will buy gold. You won't get the going rate of course as they have to make some money on it. If you find a manufacturing jewelers they might be willing to buy it at a better price if only to save themselves money. I know a lot will quietly and discreetly buy old jewelry too. And hey it doesn't hurt to ring around and find out how much they would offer and you wouldn't have to pay eBay commission or worry about dodgy Craigslist people coming to your house.
posted by wwax at 12:14 PM on August 23, 2011

Gold's value is now sinking.
posted by Horselover Phattie at 6:49 PM on August 24, 2011

« Older My dad and I are thinking of t...   |  Road trip questions! A friend ... Newer »