Maple Bacon Vodka experiments. What other herbs, spices, or other sundry flavors could/should I toss in that would add a third level of yummyness?
So: I just bought 1.75L of Smirnoff Vodka. The New Hampshire State Liquor Store on the Interstate finally lured me in.
In the fridge, I have:
• two pounds of supermarket-brand bacon,
• one pound of Canadian Bacon ends,
• and a half-pint each of Grade B and Grade C maple syrup.
On the spice shelf, I have a lot of plastic containers of various herbs and spices.
- I do not want to use up all of the maple syrup. How little syrup could I use, proportionally, in order to get the maple flavor noticed?
- I can totally wait a month or two before tasting it. Would longer steeping times work, or would it be unnecessary?
- Should I do this with better-quality vodka, or will Smirnoff suffice?
- Any particular varieties of spicy pepper that I could buy in a supermarket that would go well with this? (I'd originally gone into the Liquor store curious to see if they stocked pepper-infused vodka; they didn't.)
- I also have a few glass jars (peanut-butter and mason-types) so I can break down the amounts and try different mixes.