What is this bumper sticker symbol?

What is this bumper sticker symbol, and what does it mean?

Also, I remember seeing a search engine that would have been ideal for answering this kind of question. It allowed the user to draw in a box and then have the engine search for images that most closely resemble what was drawn. Where is this search engine?

Please excuse my crude mspaint representation of the symbol. I'm pretty sure the color was green like that.
posted by odinsdream to Media & Arts (13 answers total)

It's an alien that is neither smiling nor frowning.
posted by bingo at 8:19 PM on May 31, 2005

I'm pretty sure it's the Hieroglyphics hip-hop collective.
posted by britain at 8:19 PM on May 31, 2005

[oops, should've included a link to hieroglyphics.com]
posted by britain at 8:21 PM on May 31, 2005

Close Bingo
posted by banished at 8:30 PM on May 31, 2005

It's also a Mayan number 8 with a circle drawn around it.
posted by CrunchyFrog at 9:10 PM on May 31, 2005

Reminds me of the Westinghouse logo.
posted by rolypolyman at 9:22 PM on May 31, 2005

As long as we're on the subject, what's with the blue and yellow [equals sign] bumper stickers? I figured it's "equal rights for gays" after I saw it on a flag outside a shop in Provincetown, but that's just a guess.
posted by cribcage at 9:35 PM on May 31, 2005

It is the Human Rights Campaign
posted by cmonkey at 9:46 PM on May 31, 2005

I thought so. Thanks.
posted by cribcage at 9:53 PM on May 31, 2005

posted by BradNelson at 10:12 PM on May 31, 2005

I could have sworn the three-dots-and-an-underline was some sort of European manufacturer's logo... or an ISO safety or informational symbol. Possibly both simultaneously.
posted by five fresh fish at 8:37 AM on June 1, 2005

The Hiero logo is supposed to represent the 'third eye,' right?

Also, does that symbol search engine with the box to draw in actually exist? I was looking for it the other day, and I think I convinced myself I dreamed it.
posted by box at 9:58 AM on June 1, 2005

I'm really fairly sure it exists. In fact, I think it was more ambitious than my description. I believe it was a 3D-model search engine. I distinctly remember drawing (well, trying to draw) the famous teacup and trying to have it return the right thing. It certainly wasn't perfect.
posted by odinsdream at 1:37 PM on June 1, 2005

« Older Relationship-oriented books fo...   |  There was a book I read in Jr.... Newer »