Have Job, Will Hire.

I'm a small business owner looking for a resume search option like monster.com or careerbuilder.com that isn't so expensive and limited.

I own a small service repair and technical company, and I need to hire a new technician. In the past I've used Craigslist and occasionally the local paper. These usually turn up very few individuals who match the criteria listed. Normally they are extremely raw, and/or lack the qualifications needed (valid driver's license, etc.). While I can train to the industry, the success rate with most of these individuals is extremely low.

I've been exploring various ways of getting more skilled employees in at the ground level. Looking at Technical schools, and military job listings. But I don't want to sit around. I feel like more and more people are using resume services like monster or careerbuilder instead of the paper and craigslist.

The problem with Monster and those sites is that they are extremely expensive and limited. It's about $500 for 1 month/1 hire/ 100 resume views. The 7-day trial is even $390!

Is there a less expensive option out there? I'm not some big company looking for multiple white collar jobs. I employ 10 people, and might have to turn through a couple applicants to find the right one.

Also, other recommendations for finding potential employees are greatly recommended.
posted by Tavern to Work & Money (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

This is what staffing agencies were invented for.

Even better, contact your state's employment office. They're usually related to the state's unemployment benefits system, and they can almost certainly get you a list of like twenty people almost immediately, likely for free.
posted by valkyryn at 11:26 AM on August 16, 2011 [1 favorite]

Have you asked your current employees to recommend people? Or if you have, but they haven't done so, have you tried offering a bonus for a successful hire from a referral (ideally to be given after the new hire has worked for a few weeks or months)?
posted by pie ninja at 11:45 AM on August 16, 2011

Check into your local workforce development board (I'm assuming you're in the US here). These are public/private partnerships that work with business and government to address local workforce needs. Just google "workforce board" with your city. Here's the one in my area: Guilfordworks.com. They can help you recruit, assess and train workers very cheaply.
posted by jeoc at 6:14 PM on August 16, 2011

« Older Why does the factory stereo in...   |  I'm looking for a photo series... Newer »