What laptop should I buy?
August 14, 2011 7:15 AM Subscribe
I need to buy a new PC laptop and have no clue where to start. My criteria: Good hardware, sleek design, good speakers, AWESOME customer service, NOT a macbook, under $900.
posted by windbox to technology (20 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
My current 2004 Dell notebook is seriously gasping for it's last breaths. Yes, I have not followed laptop news, reviews, improvements, etc since 2004 so it feels like I'm getting out of prison for the first time in 7 years and everything is so different and confusing. There's like 1000 more brands and I don't even know where to begin.
DISCLAIMER: I do NOT want a Mac. I use them at work and I hate them. Sorry. If you were going to suggest a mac just move on because I will not take your answer into consideration. Seriously. Please and thank you.
Here are some bullets:
- I'm thinking something with a 15' inch screen (not interested in mini-netbooks), 6GB of RAM and a pentium i5. Will this hold up, technology-wise, or will it be akin to owning a steam engine in 5 years from now?
- I will mostly just be using it for internet-ing/word processing, though every once in a while I like to tinker in making music on it (FL studio-type stuff, nothing advanced)
- I also stream/download movies and music, so good built in speakers.
- This is a weird one: I hate glossy screens. I was looking at the newest Dell Inspiron model and while the guts look perfect it's such an ugly machine, all shiny and glossy as if it WANTS to attract as many finger-prints/smudges as possible. Preferably it will be thin and sleek and strong and anti-glare. Like a mac, without being a mac.
- And an important one: Awesome customer support for when shit inevitably happens. Once a few years ago my Dell completely crapped out and wouldn't even turn on when I was at a hotel in the middle of nowhere. I was able to get a guy over the next day to crack it open and fix it through my awesome warranty and their awesome customer service.
- ...All of this for under $900?
So...what are some good brands? Would it be smart to stick with Dell? Should I switch to HP? What about brands like Asus or Acer, I know nothing about them? Any other brands I'm missing?
What do you use, and how is the customer service?