DotNetNuke + XP + IE8 = ARRRGH!
August 12, 2011 11:01 AM Subscribe
After a month in the field, this DotNetNuke site is throwing up Tab Recovery Errors in IE8 for users using Windows XP. While the most efficient answer may be "don't use XP" it is unfortunately not the best answer. Anyone have an idea? More details inside...
posted by rednikki to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)
I am posting this for a friend who has had absolutely no luck in the usual spots for this. I'm hoping the superior average intelligence of MeFites will lead to an answer! Here's the details.
Launched the DotNetNuke site on June 3. Prior to that it was tested in all browsers for compatibility, and despite a few differences (of course) the site worked well. On July 5, for no apparent reason, we began getting a Tab Recovery Error in IE8. The error log lists the error with an ID 1048, and the other piece we narrowed down is the error happens with the mshtml.dll. Here are the other quirky things about this error:
1. Happens randomly by page, and on most but not all Windows XP computers with IE8.
2. It doesn't happen with IE7 but not many people are still using IE7 anyway. I have not tested it with IE9.
3. However, the company who setup our document management system is now saying their product is having the same issue but with IE9. So far, their "fix" is to tell clients not to upgrade to 9.
4. The error happens when editing OR viewing the site, and it's happening on both our development and live server.
5. DNN says it is not their product, but IE.
6. We've considered all the security and Windows updates to no avail.
7. All the online documentation talks about client side fixes like clearing the IE cache, resetting or reinstalling it, removing or disabling add-ons. We did that and it still happens. Plus, we can't ask all our viewers to do this.
8. I get the error at home on an XP/IE8 machine but I can have three tabs open and I only get it with our site. I also have a Windows 7/IE8 system and I don't get it.
I've troubleshooted this problem since July 5 and that's as far as I've gotten. I'm really frustrated and I know you may or you know a lot of people in the field who may have other suggestions, or have run into similar problems with IE.