Is that cool? Yes. That's extremely cool.

Looking for an identification of this dialogue: "Is that cool?" "Yes. That's extremely cool."

I've had this piece of dialogue stuck in my head for the last couple of months, but no idea where I saw it. The two characters speaking are:

A: the straight man, slightly less powerful and more staid (perhaps younger?) than B. Male, I think.
B: holding more power in this social dynamic, a bit charmingly sarcastic, a bit of swaggering charisma underneath his line-delivery. Think Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters, or Gregory House in House MD. Also male.

In fact, this exchange may indeed have come from an episode of House MD (in which case House is likely character B).

The lines themselves don't convey as much meaning as the delivery of them. I'll try to describe that:

A asks "Is that cool?" as an addendum to a previously-spoken proposal, where "cool" is being used as a synonym for "acceptable". A is essentially asking, "Is this all right?" (for example, how you might ask, "We're out of butter so I used margarine instead, is that cool?")

B, however, willfully misinterprets that question as a request for a value-judgement, as though A had really been asking "Does this thing have enough relative hipness to be considered 'cool'?" (for example, how you might reply to the question, "I've been getting into Slayer, so I downloaded their entire catalog; is that a lame thing to do, or is it cool?"). Now, B actually knows that A was merely about acceptability rather than hipness, but by answering the question in this way, he's having a little go at A's expense.

Please let me know if you know where this came from. Bonus points if you're able to find a clip of it online.
posted by Greg Nog to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Isn't there an exchange like this right at the beginning of the first Iron Man movie? Tony Stark and the soldiers in the humvee taking pictures?
posted by jquinby at 2:04 PM on August 8, 2011 [1 favorite]

:32 seconds in on this clip.
posted by jquinby at 2:05 PM on August 8, 2011

Jimmy: Is it cool if I take a picture with you?
Tony Stark: Yes, it's very cool.

posted by East Manitoba Regional Junior Kabaddi Champion '94 at 2:05 PM on August 8, 2011

IMDB has these lines from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, "The Gang Solves The North Korea Situation" (2007):

Charlie Kelly: Hey wait, are you planning to douse my fiancée with water, exposing her breasts for everyone to see?
Dennis Reynolds: Yeah man, is that cool?
Charlie Kelly: That's VERY cool.
posted by Errant at 2:06 PM on August 8, 2011

IRON MAN IS WHAT I WAS THINKING OF, THANK YOU KIND PEEPS
posted by Greg Nog at 2:10 PM on August 8, 2011

« Older Inept Los Angeles apartment ma...   |  I'm a young female in the Midw... Newer »