How to quote a tweet on my computer?

How can I quote a tweet on twitter on my laptop the same way I can on my iPad?

On my iPad, when I click on the thing that lets me retweet a tweet, it also gives me the option to "quote" a tweet - meaning it puts the tweet in quotes and attributes it correctly and I can add what I want after it (until character maximum). This does not happen on my computer. Why not, and how can I quote a tweet similarly from my computer?
posted by jitterbug perfume to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Use a different Twitter app - TweetDeck, for example.
posted by k8t at 6:17 PM on August 5, 2011

k8t is correct — it's all about the apps you use to interface with Twitter, and you haven't told us what those are. The Twitter web interface, and the apps from Twitter itself, do not automatically support the "RT" convention, presumedly to discourage their use and favor the new style retweet.

So, what apps are you using to tweet?
posted by mumkin at 7:13 PM on August 5, 2011

I use the twitter app on the desktop and it lets you do this.
posted by cjorgensen at 7:44 PM on August 5, 2011

If you want to do this from the Twitter website, you can install this greasemonkey script (Firefox)/Chrome/Safari/Opera extension, which among many other features, adds the ability to do old style retweets from the Twitter web interface.
posted by katyggls at 9:30 PM on August 5, 2011 [1 favorite]

I use the standard Twitter app on my desktop (the one you get from the Twitter website) and I'm on a Mac. There's seriously no way to do it from there? I downloaded Tweetdeck and it's... busy to say the least, and in addition I don't think there's any way to see my own profile/tweets on it. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

cjorgensen, can you please describe to me how you do this?

katyggls, I will try that right now. I am doubting my ability to do anything involving a "script", but I'm going to try!

Thanks everyone.
posted by jitterbug perfume at 1:14 PM on August 6, 2011

jitterbug perfume: "I use the standard Twitter app on my desktop (the one you get from the Twitter website) and I'm on a Mac. There's seriously no way to do it from there? I downloaded Tweetdeck and it's... busy to say the least, and in addition I don't think there's any way to see my own profile/tweets on it. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

"

Hey jitterbug, it's a greasemonkey script, which means if you're using Firefox you install greasemonkey and then just install the script. However, it sounds like you're using an actual desktop client, which means the script/addon won't work. It's for the actual twitter website.

Also yes you can see your own tweets in Tweetdeck. That's what I use. Open up tweetdeck and click the plus button at the top left (it should say "add a column" when you hover over it). Click the twitter icon where it says "Using account:" and then click Search. Type "From:yourtwitterhandle" (no quotes) in the box and then click Search. Now when you tweet, your tweets will show up in that column. Also TweetDeck can be pared down if it seems too busy to you. It seemed that way to me at first too. You have to use it for awhile to get the hang of it. One thing I suggest, remove any unneeded columns like trending topics, and also change your notifications in the settings so that you only get them once per minute or whatever is comfortable for you. For me getting notifications in real time was too overwhelming since I follow a lot of people.

If you need any more help feel free to memail me or something.
posted by katyggls at 6:50 PM on August 6, 2011

When I click the retweet button it give me two choices. "Retweet..." and "Quote Tweet." The quote tweet does what you are asking.
posted by cjorgensen at 8:00 PM on August 8, 2011

Good heavens! When did they add a "Quote Tweet" option in there? Has it always been there? Color me a blushing hue.
posted by mumkin at 12:54 AM on August 10, 2011

Sorry for the delay - long and unnecessary medical details, let's move on, but so sorry!

cjorgensen - When I do it at twitter.com, which is where I do it from my computer (would that be considered a "desktop client", katyggls? Please excuse my computer illiteracy, I play in a band.)

katyggls - I tried adding the extension, and it worked! I'm still really perplexed as to why I can't quote a tweet straight from twitter with out all this monkey business (pun intended!), bc I much prefer it to the NYC of all apps, TweetDeck. Having said that, your advice on how to make it less ridiculous was invaluable. It's much less obnoxious now. My computer is getting fixed for 10 days, so if I have any problems re-installing, I'll mail you, if it's still ok?

Big thanks to everyone.
posted by jitterbug perfume at 4:49 PM on August 15, 2011

« Older I have (what I think is) a bad...   |  My nice, expensive new glasses... Newer »