accepting a job knowing another offer is likely?
August 3, 2011 2:19 PM Subscribe
This is really a question of ethics as a job seeker. Should you accept a job offer, knowing that a better offer is probably coming shortly (but not yet 100% certain) and if it does appear, should you leave the first job after only a short time?
After a long job search process in a really crappy economy, my girlfriend just got a job offer for a position at an organization in the non-profit arts field (Organization A) - yay! This has been a long interview process over some months.
However, she has also been talking with senior people at Organization B, also in the arts field but in higher education. They want to offer her a better paid, higher level position than the one at Organization A. The HR processes for the offer are still in the works...i.e; she has the promise of a job offer but nothing in writing yet. It will be weeks before she could have an offer in hand.
So - we are weighing a weighing a lesser but firm job offer vs an unrealized but better job offer. In this economy, we think she should accept the firm job offer at Organization A - she'd be very happy to work there.
So the question really is - if she gets a better offer from Organization B, should she leave Organization A after such a brief period there? Organization B is a better fit and will be better paid. In an ideal world she'd reject A and wait for B but we don't want to bet the farm on an unrealized job offer in this economy.