Can you help me find the right bike?
August 2, 2011 1:20 PM Subscribe
Performance quality of a "Road bike" with comfort of upright handlebars?
posted by David-lib to Shopping (19 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Currently riding a beat-up early 1990s, 20.5 inch, 18 speed Schwinn to work which has several parts that need replacing. It also weighs a staggering 32.5pounds! Rather than fixing, I'm looking for a bike that is:
- 5 to 10 pounds lighter
- includes mounts for a rack
- includes mounts for rain fenders (Live in Seattle)
- good for hills (500 foot ascent on the way home every day.)
- speedy quality of an entry level "Road bike"
- provides stability and comfort of an upright
I barely know if what I want is possible. Any suggestions? I did test rides on Bianchi Volpe
and this Masi
bike. I liked the speed and the frame, but there is no way in hell that I could get used to the road bike handlebars. Could i just get a frame like this Soma
and have the bike shop make it with high handles?
(Absolute budget limit $1000. Would be happier below $700.)