Simultaneous dual band wireless access point needed.

I'd like to find a good simultaneous dual band wireless access point (not router) for my home. Must broadcast N and G. Anyone have a good experience with one?
posted by Jackie_Treehorn to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I've been using a pair of Buffalo WHR-HP-G300Ns - one as the main router/AP, and another as a non-router slave for WDS and they were dead simple to set up. The outside of the little case has a little toggle that disables routing for using it as a WDS bridge, and it does N/G fine.

Incidentally, many people love this particular unit (and its ilk) because it ships with DD-WRT already on it. I love DD-WRT and used it for a long time on older Linksys APs, but I found that there were some performance issues related to the wireless drivers it uses on the Buffalo hardware. I ended up installing Buffalo's firmware instead (they include it on a CD in the box) and while the feature set is nowhere as rich as DD-WRT and the UI leaves a bit to be desired, the performance has been bulletproof ever since. Not a single dropped packet or freezeup in many months now. Newegg has them for around $40.
posted by jquinby at 6:55 AM on July 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

I use two Netgear WAPs in my home. They're not N/G, but b/g, so not what you're looking for. I posted this comment to note that while I did get wireless bridging working with these two WAPs, the connection was ultra-sucky, so if you are planning on that application, shop carefully. I eventually wired the house instead and now use the WAPs to boost signal strength in the house/provide multiple conventional APs.
posted by kalessin at 7:28 AM on July 30, 2011

« Older I have a bifocals prescription...   |  New career sought: designing a... Newer »