A 6.5 month preggo flying 18 hours to Turkey – yea/nay?
July 29, 2011 2:36 PM Subscribe
I love traveling, but is taking an overseas trip to Istanbul at 6.5 months pregnant ill-advised?
posted by allisonrae to Travel & Transportation around Turkey (27 answers total)
My husband has an opportunity to head to Istanbul for several days early this fall – his airfare will be paid. Exciting! So he had the super-fun idea to extend his stay another week, get a ticket for me, and have a bit of an adventure together in Istanbul (he has old friends there who may be able to show us around some and get us off the beaten tourist path), or alternately meeting up with me somewhere in Greece. Basically, it's a chance for us to have an exciting trip at 50% off the usual airfare.
I would be in the 27th week of my first pregnancy at that time. So far everything has been free of complications. Travel is really important to me (planning on another trip to Iceland with the new family next year), but I am also generally a very cautious person... the latter, of course, is what brings me here.
1. 18-hour flight (he will be on a business class ticket but economy is what's in my/our price range). Pregnancy-wise, I wonder how much of a factor edema and general discomfort would be.
2. Despite being a lover of travel, I have an intense flying phobia. Obviously Xanax (my usual security blanket, even if I don't take it) is not an option in any way whatsoever.
3. If a pregnancy-related medical complication arose, I'm not sure how I would best handle it.
4. Would I need a fresh round of vaccinations? Most of my travel has been focused in Western Europe and Scandinavia, and I never bothered before. The last time I had shots was probably 15+ years ago.
5. Jet lag added into the general mix of pregnancy tiredness.
1. Taking advantage of a great vacation opportunity at a seriously discounted price!
2. Seeing someplace new and someday being able to tell the kiddo about his first vacation!
3. My husband and I are extremely close (best of friends), and I feel incredibly sad thinking about missing out on a new adventure with him – he said the same earlier today.
So really the overall question is: would you advise going or staying, given the above? Any additional factors worth considering? Thanks, everyone!